Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

10 lurkers | 140 watchers
12 Feb
6:03pm, 12 Feb 2024
10,381 posts
  •  
minardi
So sorry Jabberknit xx
12 Feb
6:51pm, 12 Feb 2024
7,295 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
So sorry jabberknit, but glad it was a peaceful leaving
12 Feb
6:59pm, 12 Feb 2024
51,639 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
So sorry jabberknit

TR I hope you and your mum get the support you need x
12 Feb
7:07pm, 12 Feb 2024
26,346 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am sorry for your loss jabberknit
12 Feb
7:30pm, 12 Feb 2024
12,261 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Sorry for your loss
12 Feb
11:40pm, 12 Feb 2024
2,212 posts
  •  
poppyH
Sorry to hear that jabberknit. Glad it was peaceful.
13 Feb
12:17am, 13 Feb 2024
7,662 posts
  •  
1step2far
So sorry JabberKnit
13 Feb
6:30am, 13 Feb 2024
12,601 posts
  •  
PaulaMc
Condolences to you and yours, JK. I hope the paperwork mountain turns out to be more of a big hill and that you have a helping hand to scale it.
13 Feb
7:25am, 13 Feb 2024
49,367 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Condolences Jk. Sounds like it was a release in the end though. Take care.
jda
13 Feb
10:41am, 13 Feb 2024
16,474 posts
  •  
jda
Regarding FiL, my wife finally got to speak to someone who seemed to know what was going on - the discharge nurse - and it seems that our greatest worry, of an abrupt discharge to home, is not really on the cards at all. At best he is still some weeks away from any assessment that he can live at home and they recognise that he'll need support if and when that point is reached. In the meantime we can work on the suggestion that he might recover better, and get out of hospital earlier, by going to the nice care home that he had a stay in a few years ago...

There was no information regarding the x-ray that he'd had several days previously. I hope that might mean there was nothing worth noting, rather than that no-one had looked at it at all, but neither would particularly surprise me. There's another x-ray due next week, which will be the 6 week time scale we were initially told.

Went past his house to pick up the post and empty the drip buckets (and also remove a handful of minor valuables) on the way to visit him, and it's utterly grim. Carpets squelching and lifting, visibly mouldy in several rooms, another few bits of ceiling tiling have fallen in. Got half a mind to turn the water on again which might finish the job.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.