Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

11 lurkers | 140 watchers
9 Feb
12:13am, 9 Feb 2024
73,924 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh TR sorry to hear that news. Hopefully she stays in good spirits and can celebrate her 100th birthday with you all
9 Feb
6:24am, 9 Feb 2024
6,916 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that TR. I hope that she can be kept comfortable and do everything she wants to in whatever time she has left. Great that you and your sister can work so well to support her together.
CK2
9 Feb
6:30am, 9 Feb 2024
2,617 posts
  •  
CK2
Sad to hear your new TR. My dad had lung cancer (although we suspect it was secondary) and hadn’t smoked d so once his 30s. A lovely plan to see her friend and I’m glad the POA was easy to sort out.
9 Feb
7:34am, 9 Feb 2024
66,549 posts
  •  
LindsD
I'm sorry TR. Sending strength.
9 Feb
7:38am, 9 Feb 2024
18,321 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
So sorry TR - so much easier when familes work together
9 Feb
7:46am, 9 Feb 2024
7,656 posts
  •  
1step2far
Sorry to hear this TR
9 Feb
7:51am, 9 Feb 2024
38,409 posts
  •  
Ness
Sorry to hear about that TR.
9 Feb
8:16am, 9 Feb 2024
29,414 posts
  •  
Serendippily
TR your mum just sounds amazing
9 Feb
11:29am, 9 Feb 2024
7,290 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Thanks all heart
12 Feb
4:21pm, 12 Feb 2024
4,486 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Sadly I have to report no longer having an elderly parent to worry about. Mum died in her sleep early this morning, a quiet and gentle passing. We've been expecting it as she's become increasingly unresponsive over the last couple of weeks, not eating or drinking, she drifted into unconsciousness over the weekend, though it was perhaps a bit sooner than predicted.

She was 94 and had lived a good life into her early 90s, only really starting the sad slide into dementia about 18 months ago. Sad, but also relieved too - dementia is a terrible state, the physical person is there, but at the same time, they're not. (Indeed, in that hysterical stage of early grief, I feel so tempted to make a joke there about Schroedinger!)

Now to start climbing the Everest of paperwork that dealing with death brings.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.