Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

8 lurkers | 140 watchers
28 Jan
4:58pm, 28 Jan 2024
6,890 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Nothing to apologise for decorum. I'm in awe at the amount of patience you obviously possess!
28 Jan
5:31pm, 28 Jan 2024
3,960 posts
  •  
decorum
🀣 I don't know about that, but thank you for the compliment ☺️

Personally, I reckon most others are trying to steer far harder courses!

Either way, I firmly believe that we need to be kind to and forgive, ourselves. [The othe day I got told off for snapping ~ by AP and about >him</his behaviour ~ my only retort was that he and mum brought me up better than that and if it wasn't acceptable for me >then<, when i was learning to navigate the world, it wasn't okay for him >now<! πŸ˜†πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†]
jda
28 Jan
8:02pm, 28 Jan 2024
16,339 posts
  •  
jda
It will pass, decorum.

Managed to visit FiL yesterday for the first time post-covid, in a new ward for no obvious reason. We talked to the nurse about the discharge team being in touch and she was rather surprised to hear that he had been living independently up to now. It seems that any threat of a discharge is probably some way away.

Still another 3 weeks before they consider next steps with the elbow.
29 Jan
6:38am, 29 Jan 2024
6,896 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
At least you know where you are for a while jda.
29 Jan
7:27pm, 29 Jan 2024
26,296 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
The lift issues have escalated somewhat as the carer is currently stuck in the lift awaiting an engineer to release her !

Mrs axe is trying to resolve that whilst I have e-mailed BiL to see if his view remains to repair it and limp on or if he changes his mind to a proper repair. There is apparently a stair meeting to discuss on Thursday and I assume it would go to a majority vote.

There are 11 flats, three on ground floor could vote against as they wont use it. If MiLs PoAs can’t agree and abstain then there are seven votes up for grabs. Only takes 2 other objectors and we hold the deciding vote
30 Jan
6:41am, 30 Jan 2024
6,897 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It definitely sounds as though something is going to have to be done Baz.
30 Jan
7:32pm, 30 Jan 2024
26,303 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Sounds like the lift is being condemned and so MiL is now trapped in her house until its repaired in some shape or fashion.
30 Jan
7:49pm, 30 Jan 2024
28,339 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Mum was doing really well with her stoma but now (after a cough) it keeps prolapsing :-(
30 Jan
8:13pm, 30 Jan 2024
12,207 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Oh no
30 Jan
8:48pm, 30 Jan 2024
7,274 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Rather surprised at our chemists: Mrs TR went in to pick up a prescription this afternoon and was handed a package containing both hers and my mum's prescription. They both have the same initial and surname,, but different addresses (two labels on the bag, one for Mrs TR and one for my mum).

A few weeks ago I went into pick up a prescription for myself and was told " there's one for E (my adult son) - do you want to take that as well"
Feels as if both cases breach patient confidentiality.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.