Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

10 lurkers | 140 watchers
25 Jan
1:26pm, 25 Jan 2024
29,401 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I said they needed to try and coordinate their visits to minimise the contact, and try and keep things calm, and three of them rocked up yesterday that i know about
25 Jan
1:28pm, 25 Jan 2024
29,402 posts
  •  
Serendippily
But then she is slowly starving herself, hyper focused on the door and who is going to try and gain entry next
25 Jan
1:51pm, 25 Jan 2024
6,882 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry - you probably already know this but if they do put her on a Sec 3 then they will have an obligation to fund appropriate living arrangements when she is discharged. It's evident from the fact that they keep going round in circles with her that where she's living now doesn't meet her needs. Has there been any talk of a Community Treatment Order? I'd hope it wouldn't happen but if services run out of ideas and get scared they may well go down that route.
25 Jan
2:56pm, 25 Jan 2024
18,223 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Sending hugs Dipps, sounds really really tough
25 Jan
2:56pm, 25 Jan 2024
29,403 posts
  •  
Serendippily
The fact they discharged her on a bank holiday with no money (locked in a safe they couldnt open) at a days notice and with no funded care plan didnt help. She had no idea why the reenablement services were there and neither did she. So as ever with autism, its hard to know how inevitable it was
25 Jan
2:57pm, 25 Jan 2024
29,404 posts
  •  
Serendippily
But thank you, i will try and understand it
25 Jan
3:14pm, 25 Jan 2024
66,331 posts
  •  
LindsD
HUgs from me. Sounds awful.
CK2
25 Jan
4:18pm, 25 Jan 2024
2,584 posts
  •  
CK2
Sounds dreadful Dipps! Look after yourself.
25 Jan
4:27pm, 25 Jan 2024
6,883 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It's a sad fact that the system doesn't work but it can be made to work better if people (staff) put the time and effort in. Unfortunately most are too busy fire fighting to be able to give their best to patients. It doesn't make it any better though and it's definitely not right.
25 Jan
5:17pm, 25 Jan 2024
32,132 posts
  •  
macca 53
Please try to fit some “you” time in Dipps ((()))

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.