Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

7 lurkers | 140 watchers
30 Jan
9:00pm, 30 Jan 2024
38,256 posts
  •  
Ness
Both sound like pretty bad practice but, tbh, I don't know what their procedures should be.
30 Jan
9:01pm, 30 Jan 2024
28,340 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
That's disgraceful
30 Jan
10:08pm, 30 Jan 2024
73,728 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Definitely a breach of confidentiality TR
30 Jan
11:41pm, 30 Jan 2024
66,422 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds difficult Lizzie
31 Jan
6:51am, 31 Jan 2024
6,898 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that Lizzie.

Definitely shouldn't happen TR.
31 Jan
7:29am, 31 Jan 2024
28,342 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
They weren't joking about the 4 hour wait to see a doctor. Fairly sure I've picked up a couple of diseases in the waiting room... Mum seen by lovely Dr, everything back in where it should be now, but we know it won't stay. Only real solution is surgery, which wouldn't be great.
31 Jan
7:30am, 31 Jan 2024
28,343 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
TR, please feed back to the pharmacy.
31 Jan
7:39am, 31 Jan 2024
66,426 posts
  •  
LindsD
Glad it's sorted Lizzie.
31 Jan
7:52am, 31 Jan 2024
53,664 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Glad they were able to sort it Lizzie, if only temporarily
8 Feb
11:58pm, 8 Feb 2024
7,289 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Mum's ct scan confirmed lung cancer (she's not smoked since WWII, but had tb in 1952). Talking leaves her breathless and she has a cough which is tiring - in truth she's permanently exhausted, but she is philosophical and realistic. The doctor was visiting her today and he is pushing for an urgent consultant appointment but as things stand mum is looking for palliative care. We'll have to see whether she reaches her century at the end of June. She's still getting to the social centre for coffee and to church, though making more use of a wheelchair rather than her walker.
She has a long-standing friend (more than 60 years friendship) also in her late 90s who lives the other side of Leicester and is housebound, so I want to arrange to take mum to visit her in the next week or so.
I'm fortunate that my sister lives locally and we're singing from the same hymnsheet. We went into Mum's bank and activated our poa yesterday (Santander are much better than Nationwide in this regard!). I'm leading support for mum on the financial side and sister on the health/welfare - playing to our strengths!
It's slightly complicated for me in that we had building work on our house (convert garage to utility and then replace kitchen) start yesterday so I feel like I've got a lot to keep on top of.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.