Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
6:28am, 19 Oct 2023
6,700 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I suspect a lot is down to individual staff and staffing levels but some of it will be procedural.
Oct 2023
6:44am, 19 Oct 2023
82,073 posts
  •  
Diogenes
LMH, I have completed probate three times now and, under the circumstances you describe, it was very simple. I would’ve felt robbed if I’d payed somebody to do it.
Oct 2023
7:08am, 19 Oct 2023
10,036 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Dad didn't get anywhere with banks after mum died until he started asking to speak to someone in their bereavement team (or equivalent). After that, he found the process got much smoother.
jda
Oct 2023
8:08am, 19 Oct 2023
15,636 posts
  •  
jda
I suppose they have enough staff turnover and limited training such that most of them just haven’t dealt with it much. Both death and PoAs. And systems are always changing, NatWest’s online system seems fairly recent and the online PoA is also new (to me!)
Oct 2023
8:27am, 19 Oct 2023
7,018 posts
  •  
Pikelet
Another bank nightmare with the Halifax. My sis-in-law rang them to advise FIL had passed away (joint account with MIL). Took all the details and wasn’t until after they’d been into branch a few weeks later with death certificate (issues getting hold of this because GP who saw FIL before he died, conveniently went on holiday for two weeks) etc they found out they’d noted MIL as deceased!!!

Had to start the whole process again and reinstate MIL as very much alive 🙄
Oct 2023
8:28am, 19 Oct 2023
7,019 posts
  •  
Pikelet
They did however deal with the POA stuff quickly and sorted debit cards for OH and his sister with no problems.
Oct 2023
8:38am, 19 Oct 2023
47,920 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I used to work for A&L, before they were taken over by Santander, in the marketing department
When the new Santander system was put in place about 5k deceased customers lost their deceased marker and started getting mail
Oct 2023
8:39am, 19 Oct 2023
47,921 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
when dad died the registrar put him down as wife of Mrs Cooper and made her go back in with all the paperwork to get new certificates which they would only amend (so wife of still showed) rather than reissue

they had wanted to charge her too!
Oct 2023
9:31am, 19 Oct 2023
2,839 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Just de-lurking to share this recent article about residential homes and how to fund them.

theguardian.com
Oct 2023
9:38am, 19 Oct 2023
6,701 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's good to know Dio. Thank you.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.