Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
9:40am, 17 Oct 2023
64,531 posts
  •  
LindsD
Thanks jda. That's helpful
Oct 2023
9:58am, 17 Oct 2023
6,698 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's reassuring guys. Thank you. MiL and he were tenants in common and I'd probably just say that the contents of the house (all that he might be deemed to own) are worth say £10k in total so his goods and chattels £5k. MiL is terrified of getting into trouble with 'the law' but I can't really see how that would happen.
Oct 2023
10:00am, 17 Oct 2023
32,011 posts
  •  
HellsBells
We did all 4 of our parents ourselves, it was all straightforward
jda
Oct 2023
10:12am, 17 Oct 2023
15,627 posts
  •  
jda
My mother got an auctioneer to look through the house but he barely gave a glance and said 5k which was ludicrous as there were some proper valuables in there…but it all went to spouse anyway. Solicitor said all was fine.

(Well technically what with being in Scotland the legal rights of children -25% of moveable property - should have been a bit higher but neither of us were bothered).
Oct 2023
4:59pm, 17 Oct 2023
6,699 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Coop were going to charge MiL £3k to sort probate!
Oct 2023
5:02pm, 17 Oct 2023
64,538 posts
  •  
LindsD
:-0
jda
Oct 2023
6:50pm, 18 Oct 2023
15,635 posts
  •  
jda
NatWest are shit. Giving my wife the runaround over the PoA on her dad's bank account - they have just told her that she gave the wrong code to access it on-line.

No, she didn't, they just took so long to bother looking it up that it's expired.

Bit of a catch-22 there.

In other news, the doctor also phoned up having noticed that he's not looking after himself very well (won't change clothes). No shit Sherlock - it's a bit worrying that they have only noticed this recently! "He could maybe have some carers in - but he'd have to accept them." Well duh. Tell us something we don't know.
CK2
Oct 2023
7:35pm, 18 Oct 2023
2,336 posts
  •  
CK2
My mum’s had a poor service from HSBC and Santander since dad died - lost information, confused letters and calls, failure to cancel or transfer accounts. Are all banks unreliable and inefficient or do they just not care?
Oct 2023
8:17pm, 18 Oct 2023
64,565 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds stressful. I had good service from Lloyds and Skipton BS.
Oct 2023
9:26pm, 18 Oct 2023
30,182 posts
  •  
Rosehip
No issues with barclays or nationwide, but MiL had a poor time with Halifax. Don’t know if it’s branch specific though, hope not as mum’s nice ba4clays branch has closed

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.