Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
7:14am, 12 Oct 2023
64,431 posts
  •  
LindsD
How stressful. Hope BiL steps up.
Oct 2023
8:06am, 12 Oct 2023
17,486 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hope he helps out and MIL is ok
CK2
Oct 2023
8:11am, 12 Oct 2023
2,318 posts
  •  
CK2
You must be exhausted Baz! I hope BIL pulls his weight.
Oct 2023
8:39am, 12 Oct 2023
71,671 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Oh that’s a shame and hopefully MiL is fine. Hope BiL does his bit to help.
Oct 2023
8:56am, 12 Oct 2023
48,061 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry tohear that Bazo. Glad MiL is now receiving treatment and care. Falls are a worry for my mum, very wobbly on her pins and esp trailing the oxygen tubes around the house. :-) G
Oct 2023
9:05am, 12 Oct 2023
47,726 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Echoing the above hope mum is ok and you get support
Oct 2023
9:25am, 12 Oct 2023
35,131 posts
  •  
Ness
Yes, whatvtjey said!^
Oct 2023
9:26am, 12 Oct 2023
35,132 posts
  •  
Ness
Oops butter fingers! Don't know what happened there. Sorry bazoake. Let me translate that....

Yes, what they said! ^ x
Oct 2023
11:45am, 12 Oct 2023
6,694 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I hope BiL steps up Baz.
Oct 2023
8:05am, 13 Oct 2023
25,725 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
MiL is patched up and OK. However she was kept in for observation but mainly because they were concerned about her walking. I dont think they realise thats her normal baseline. They will get to that point in dye courtse.

I popped in last night along with both my kids as Mrs Axe was working and she was delighted to see us but said she was quite happy being looked after in hospital and doesnt want to go home any time soon.

I contacted BiL three times over the course of yesterday and had not even an acknowledgment. I know he is dealing with his own mental health issues, however they are now manifesting themselves in a way that is significantly affecting other people. MiL was desperate last night to see him and hear from him. However, he has cut all contact apart from when it suits him and he will not engage with Mrs Axe or I at all. We are at a loss as to what to do.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.