Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

6 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
11:28am, 5 Oct 2023
47,554 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
glad she is back on the ward LW
take care x
Oct 2023
11:58am, 5 Oct 2023
6,689 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sounds positive Lizzie. Hope the necessary help can be organised quickly.
Oct 2023
12:25pm, 5 Oct 2023
64,283 posts
  •  
LindsD
That sounds good. Definitely call the GPx
Oct 2023
12:58pm, 7 Oct 2023
25,704 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It seems BiLs visit four days after MiLs 90 th was a one off. He hasn’t been in all week and when we arrived today the medication was behind her door so he had let himself in to drop it off. This must have been between 8am when the carer left and 11am when we arrived. I wonder what would happen if we bumped into each other one day.

His behaviour is becoming more erratic and his mum is pretty upset by it all, especially us now doing the shopping every week which was the one and only contribution he made to her care.
Oct 2023
5:53pm, 7 Oct 2023
6,691 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear that the situation isn’t improving Baz and you’ve been landed with even more to do.
Oct 2023
6:16pm, 7 Oct 2023
25,707 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It is what it is and to be honest doing shopping every week isnt much extra anyway. It’s more the upset and bewilderment from MiL thats hard to deal with.
jda
Oct 2023
8:24pm, 7 Oct 2023
15,577 posts
  •  
jda
Hope you can do your best to shrug and work round it Bazo. So long as you don’t expect anything from him, you can’t be too disappointed…

My brother is somewhat similar but my mother is compos mentis so I can leave them to manage their relationship as they choose. If/when she loses her marbles I may have similar issues to deal with.
Oct 2023
4:46am, 12 Oct 2023
25,719 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Had a call out from the falls team as Mil fell and there was blood. Long wait for an ambulance so could we go round.

She seems fine but has a big cut still bleeding. Think it needs cleaned and stitches

Hopefully they will be here soon.

This comes at a time when BiL has apparently been back to see his mum on Tuesday night and is making some problems.
Oct 2023
7:12am, 12 Oct 2023
25,721 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ambulance crew arrived at 05:45. They were fabulous. Mil off to A&E to get patched up and a scan. It’s a nasty deep cut they couldn’t stop bleeding either.

We are home and I am off to work awaiting a call. Mrs axe cannot get away from work today and in fact I’d then until 9pm. I don’t drive.

I have updated BiL and asked for his support to get her home. He did go and see her on Tuesday so should be no excuses. No doubt though I will be leaving work and getting her home by taxi.
Oct 2023
7:13am, 12 Oct 2023
25,722 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I’d then means is working

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.