Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

5 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
11:53am, 4 Oct 2023
6,686 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
No condolences needed. FiL went years ago but died in the small hours. I had hoped the dementia years would have made it easier on MiL but her email suggests otherwise.
Oct 2023
11:54am, 4 Oct 2023
47,519 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
hugs LMH sounds like it was the best thing for him as you hinted at the other day
hope you can find peace in that
Oct 2023
12:10pm, 4 Oct 2023
47,948 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry to hear that LMH, condolences then to the family, but as you say, sounds like a release in many ways. Take care.
Oct 2023
12:14pm, 4 Oct 2023
34,924 posts
  •  
Ness
Condolences LMH
Oct 2023
12:16pm, 4 Oct 2023
64,263 posts
  •  
LindsD
Are you having to come back, LMH? I hope it's not too awful for you and OH.
Oct 2023
1:08pm, 4 Oct 2023
17,457 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
So sorry LMH xx
3M
Oct 2023
1:11pm, 4 Oct 2023
22,252 posts
  •  
3M
Sad to hear, LMH. Condolences to you and yours. Hope the next few days and weeks are not too hard.
CK2
Oct 2023
1:23pm, 4 Oct 2023
2,300 posts
  •  
CK2
That’s hard even though it sounds like the best outcome LMH. Thinking of you over the coming weeks/months.
Oct 2023
3:23pm, 4 Oct 2023
6,687 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
OH doesn’t see any reason to Linds and I agree but I don’t know if MiL will have other thoughts. It’s not as though we can do anything and BiL is there. I think I’ll be picking up the pieces before and after the funeral when he’s gone back to London.
Oct 2023
3:47pm, 4 Oct 2023
31,737 posts
  •  
macca 53
Sorry for your loss LMH

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.