Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
7:26pm, 13 Oct 2023
6,696 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Baz - people often misinterpret being told things like ‘you should do what you’re comfortable with’ or ‘that sounds as though it’s an option’ with the counselor telling them they should do a,b or c. ‘Blaming’ the counselor also alleviates them of taking responsibility for their decision. Would you and Mrs B not doing anything about the situation be an option?
Oct 2023
11:02am, 14 Oct 2023
25,734 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
That is what we are trying to do, but it’s difficult. We need his permission to do shopping etc and get a one word reply. Ok.

MiL is desperate to resolve the situation and see her son. It’s hard to try and explain to her what’s going on.

However, that is where I am trying to guide things to just keep away from it as best we can

Good news is MiL getting home and we are off to collect her shortly. Will be interesting to see if and where her medication has been left.
Oct 2023
7:20am, 17 Oct 2023
6,697 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I know this has been discussed before but I can't remember the outcome. With a straightforward reciprocal will and assets below the IHT threshold should probate be relatively straightforward to do oneself? What does it actually involve? Solicitors seem to want quite a lot for the service. Thanks.
Oct 2023
7:21am, 17 Oct 2023
14,663 posts
  •  
Dave W
My wife did it for my F-i-L when he passed away three or so years ago. As I recall it was relatively simple, but can't say it was easy.
Oct 2023
7:28am, 17 Oct 2023
64,525 posts
  •  
LindsD
It took me ages but it was on paper and it's online now. Dad's estate was just over the threshold for tax so that made it harder.

I would do it myself under those circumstances.
Oct 2023
7:29am, 17 Oct 2023
64,526 posts
  •  
LindsD
It involves declaring what they actually own, in terms of money and property, but also furniture and personal effects etc.

And swearing that you won't lie.
Oct 2023
7:32am, 17 Oct 2023
30,166 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I did dad’s under those circumstances, it was relatively straightforward.
Oct 2023
7:50am, 17 Oct 2023
47,852 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Mathschick did her dad's
Straight forward just lots of paperwork and chasing and swearing!
jda
Oct 2023
8:12am, 17 Oct 2023
15,626 posts
  •  
jda
If there are no tax implications don’t fuss over the valuation of chattels. No one cares.
CK2
Oct 2023
8:17am, 17 Oct 2023
2,333 posts
  •  
CK2
I did dad’s online and it was relatively straightforward and seemed to work! And I’m generally a real klutz with these kind of things.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.