Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

1 lurker | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
8:20am, 3 Oct 2023
71,559 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Work is the last place you need to be right now (( )) .
Oct 2023
8:21am, 3 Oct 2023
64,224 posts
  •  
LindsD
I was in the same situation Lizzie. I went to the GP and they signed me off for 6 weeks.
Oct 2023
8:58am, 3 Oct 2023
17,449 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
GP visit sounds like a must Lizzie
Oct 2023
9:45am, 3 Oct 2023
47,931 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
It's a lot to do when busy at work, isn't it?

Yesterday 1 hour to get PoA docs canned and into PDF format for online submission (Scotland). £85. Fear it may be rejected and will then need to pay solicitor to do it properly.

Another long phone call with sis who got update from multi discipline team at hospital. PET scan inconclusive so now want to rule out infections with big dose antibiotics, then follow up in a few weeks with further CT scans of the lumps. Confirmed that mum is too frail for biopsy, surgery, chemo or even radio therapy. So it will be symptoms treated only. Which counts as palliative. Which felt a bit final to me.

Ah well, she's mostly comfortable. At her best, she's quite perky. Social work will move more quickly with home care now if it's palliative which is good. I think. Strange times. :-) G
Oct 2023
9:50am, 3 Oct 2023
71,562 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Aw happy that's also a lot to contend with :-( .
Oct 2023
9:51am, 3 Oct 2023
7,037 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
On POAs had a letter from the office of public guardian end of last week containing three office copies of Mrs TR's POA and a covering letter saying it was now registered, apologising for the delay and explaining that they'd lost the original but were continuing to look for it.
This may be because they sent the original to us in March with a covering letter saying that it had now been registered 🙄
Must write back to them to say no need to continue looking...
Oct 2023
9:54am, 3 Oct 2023
64,226 posts
  •  
LindsD
Blimey TR

Hugs HappyG
Oct 2023
10:01am, 3 Oct 2023
47,453 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hugs happy
Oct 2023
11:57am, 3 Oct 2023
6,682 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Lizzie - if you make it clear that you want to be present at ward round they should be able to facilitate it or arrange a meeting with you.

Happy - palliative care can last for years so I’m hoping that you have time with your mum yet if she’s comfortable and happy.

FiL still holding on. MiL thinks he’s going to last until we get home (15th). For his sake I hope not.
Oct 2023
1:03pm, 3 Oct 2023
7,038 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
And this morning I - as her attorney - have received two notifications of Mrs TR's POA being registered. One dated 1st March and the other 26th September (in both cases her health and welfare POA) !

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.