Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

3 lurkers | 140 watchers
Oct 2023
9:09pm, 1 Oct 2023
6,680 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
It’s really not fair of him to play these games Baz. I really feel for your wife especially.
CK2
Oct 2023
7:01am, 2 Oct 2023
2,297 posts
  •  
CK2
Thinking of you LMH. You have supported so many of us going through these conflicted emotions and it can’t be easy while you’re away.
Oct 2023
7:41am, 3 Oct 2023
28,061 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Thanks & hugs from the rollercoaster.
We've tried not operating but too little progress, so back to operating soon. So hard to get to talk to the surgeon as they are busy & ward round is when I'm not there (which is reasonable, but I could be there if they asked). Operating is risky.
I've asked my brother to come over (from abroad) just in case.
Dad is a bit wobbly.
I went to work yesterday, had an update with my team leader (lovely), a call from dad, sorted some issues from last week, a call from the hospital and then a text from mum with the latest change of plan, lost the plot & went home!
Oct 2023
7:47am, 3 Oct 2023
64,221 posts
  •  
LindsD
Are work being supportive? Sounds like a massively uncertain and stressful time.
Oct 2023
7:49am, 3 Oct 2023
71,554 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Aw Lizzie that's a lot to contend with at once. Time off work is needed.

Big hugs to you all x
Oct 2023
7:54am, 3 Oct 2023
28,062 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
They are being supportive and flexible but the bottom line is I that once my annual leave is used up, we're looking at working hours back TOIL. Not sure what the policies are, need to talk to next boss up / HR another day.
Oct 2023
7:57am, 3 Oct 2023
71,558 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
A phone call to the GP and ask for a sick line.
Oct 2023
8:04am, 3 Oct 2023
28,063 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Good point, LG, thank you.
Oct 2023
8:11am, 3 Oct 2023
47,448 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
get yourself signed off with stress LW
and take care of yourself big hugs
CK2
Oct 2023
8:18am, 3 Oct 2023
2,298 posts
  •  
CK2
So tough Lizzie. Very difficult to focus on work so time off sounds sensible.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.