Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

4 lurkers | 140 watchers
Sep 2023
10:37pm, 28 Sep 2023
6,675 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks guys. Doing my best to support MiL by email. Fortunately the home is really good.

Lizzie - I hope it’s sooner rather than later.
Sep 2023
5:05pm, 29 Sep 2023
28,057 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Surgeon told mum she wanted to talk to me & dad again about risks etc. I think I'm pretty clued up! But maybe there's something I haven't thought of, or maybe Do Nothing is an option after all. I did have to give dad a biology lesson.
Sep 2023
6:22pm, 29 Sep 2023
64,159 posts
  •  
LindsD
Do you know when, Lizzie?
Sep 2023
10:32pm, 29 Sep 2023
28,058 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Meeting 10am
Sep 2023
2:22am, 30 Sep 2023
64,166 posts
  •  
LindsD
Sending strength x
Sep 2023
8:57am, 30 Sep 2023
47,349 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hugs hope it goes smoothly xx
Sep 2023
9:02am, 30 Sep 2023
71,485 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Hope it works out LW xx
Sep 2023
9:06am, 30 Sep 2023
17,433 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hope all goes OK for you LW x
CK2
Sep 2023
9:20am, 30 Sep 2023
2,290 posts
  •  
CK2
Thinking of you this morning Lizzie.
Sep 2023
1:05pm, 30 Sep 2023
2,930 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’ve just had a survey, via my council, to fill out. It’s part of the National 2023-24 Survey of Adult Carers in England. Anyone else had one? Interesting I’ve been categorised as a Carer though, as I don’t recall ever been sent a form to confirm that. As many on here do, I do care for Dad on an adhoc basis though, although he has carers going in 4 times a day for the day to day things (he’s bed bound, can’t care for himself, etc). The main things I do are talk with the carers, organise and pay cleaner, get food deliveries sorted, partly organise hospital visits, dentist, opticians etc. I made a conscious decision, early on, to not be ‘hands on’ with the care, but I guess I’m involved with everything else upside that as he can’t do anything for himself. But how I’ve been categorised as a carer I’m not sure.

Apparently I’ve been randomly chosen and it doesn’t matter that I don’t receive the carers allowance. It looks to be quite in-depth at 27 pages long.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.