Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

140 watchers
Sep 2023
9:45am, 28 Sep 2023
29,151 posts
  •  
Serendippily
Lordy Lizzie, having worked out im autistic im quite amused i both process everything through my mind first, to make it real, and then have to talk about it to check my understanding makes sense. So i overthink and overshare. But in the end it doesn’t matter what your shortcomings and strengths are, they are often flipsides of the same coin, you just have to live in the world as best you can without making yourself or others suffer unduly. Thinking through scenarios now may mean you may have more headspace to react when it comes to it xx
Sep 2023
9:47am, 28 Sep 2023
29,152 posts
  •  
Serendippily
(Just make sure you keep getting out to walk too, it really helps limit paralysis by thought)
Sep 2023
10:13am, 28 Sep 2023
64,121 posts
  •  
LindsD
True
Sep 2023
11:53am, 28 Sep 2023
6,672 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Lizzie - like it or not you will get support and sympathy here. It’s part of what we do! I prefer to have plans for every possible scenario too. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

CK2 - is your mum on medication for her anxiety? Might be worth exploring if not and she could self refer for CBT if that’s something she’d be open to trying.

FiL has another chest infection.
Sep 2023
12:01pm, 28 Sep 2023
64,124 posts
  •  
LindsD
Oh no LMH. How old is he now, if you don't mind me asking?
CK2
Sep 2023
1:18pm, 28 Sep 2023
2,286 posts
  •  
CK2
Oh no LMH. That’s tough.

I don’t think mum would define herself as having anxiety as she sees most of her fears as realistic but I like the suggestion of getting her focused on a concrete challenge. Maybe I’m exaggerating it as I worry about her but I’ll keep an eye and really value your support.
Sep 2023
2:00pm, 28 Sep 2023
64,129 posts
  •  
LindsD
I think my Mum would say the same. She thinks it's OK/normal that she can't sleep all night because she's misplaced her hearing aids. For example.
Sep 2023
2:04pm, 28 Sep 2023
47,286 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
hope he's ok LMH

LW take care I have no other words to offer

I am not medical but I would say my mum has depression and anxiety as she is very negative and fretful and still won't do things.
Sep 2023
7:10pm, 28 Sep 2023
6,673 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
85 Linds (I think).

Thanks EP but being ok isn’t actually the best outcome for him.
Sep 2023
7:15pm, 28 Sep 2023
64,135 posts
  •  
LindsD
Hope you get the best outcome LMH

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Advice on care homes and payment/funding

theguardian.com

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Pension Credit. The rules are a bit complex but if your elderly relative has some sort of disability (in this case dementia/Alzheimer's) and go into a home, they may be able to claim pension credit. So if carers allowance stops, it seems pension credit can start. It can also be backdated.

Fall alarm company, etc.

careium.co.uk

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.