104 watchers
19 Sep
10:49pm, 19 Sep 2024
88,261 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I once scored 59*

No one who wasn’t there believed it.

The day before I’d scored my previous best of 46. Over 100 runs in one weekend.

By next best score was 19.

I’ve had a couple of 4 fors, but I don’t remember the exact figures.
19 Sep
11:09pm, 19 Sep 2024
21,421 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
paulcook wrote:I was part of a couple of hat tricks. To be honest I was buzzing if I scored a run at all. And so crap was my batting I was barely ever out once I got into double figures yet still must have a lifetime average of low single figures.
Clearly Alastair snagged all the Cook(e) batting talent as I was only promoted from no. 11 when our tearaway youngquick bowler with no batting coordination was in the team.

As I've not failed to mention here before, I once won the team 'Batting Highlight' trophy for the season by managing to nurse us to a league win with 8* batting at 10, avoiding said uncoordinated yoof facing a ball

5-10 and 5-23 were my top contributions to the first team, 37* for the Sunday team when we reversed the batting order and one hat trick in the youth team.
19 Sep
11:17pm, 19 Sep 2024
9,433 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Don’t remember my best bowling figures - pretty sure I at least fluked a wicket or two though (probably surprised the batsman with a straight one!)

Best batting was 25* for the U10s when we bowled the opposition out for such a low score that our coach reversed the batting order and I went in at 4 and played the innings of my life.

Made it to 24 for U13C team (which I captained) but when the spinner came on I popped a dolly to silly mid off. I was furious with myself because I knew I was one away from my high score. That was my final year of playing cricket though.
19 Sep
11:21pm, 19 Sep 2024
9,434 posts
  •  
Pothunter
My very first ball in my very first game went for 4 though. I played a forward defense, the ball clipped the shoulder of the bat and went over the slips to the boundary. :-)
19 Sep
11:27pm, 19 Sep 2024
197 posts
  •  
Joe1970
I suspect I'm one of not many schoolboy cricketers to have a batting average of infinity and a strike rate of 300. Just the one game, clearly, which I was so proud to have been picked for but in retrospect must have only been because of some illness striking down all the good players in the U13s or 14s. We were struggling batting first, and I came in at number 11. Defended my first ball only to be called through for a daft single by someone who obviously didn't trust my batting, I'd have been run out by half a pitch had the opposition been more competent, but as it happened they were not and we dashed back for two more in overthrows. Whereupon my partner got out the following ball.

(In later years I played quite a lot of Sunday league 2nd XI stuff, no great quality but a lot of fun. Highest score was 46, with a few 30s, and I never took more than 2 wickets in a match. But I did once take 5 catches on a day when the ball just seemed to follow me around the field, which cost me quite a few beers that evening!)
20 Sep
2:21am, 20 Sep 2024
23,084 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My best batting score was a 38 i think in a 2inns game (2x20ovs). But my best performance was in a 20ov game where if I hadn't had to retire at 30, I could have scored many more as I just saw it like a football that evening. Some very important 20 & 30s to win games, including a cup final shepherding a no 11.

Best bowling was 6-55 I think - can't remember if I got one or two 6fors, but again not my best performance - got 5-23 in a game where i was swinging it round corners and 4-10 in a 20ov game including my first of 2 hattricks.

Best team performance was a church 20ov match as a junior. On a v green wicket we cobbled together about 60 - think I contributed 15. We then bowled them out in 7 overs for 9 runs. I took 4-6 and opening partner 5-3. Their no 11 refused to bat and meant I missed the chance of what would have been my first 5 for at the time.
20 Sep
5:56am, 20 Sep 2024
27,409 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My top score was 27 in club cricket. I did once score 63 in a work game but I was one of only three actual cricketers on the park. Wasn’t often trusted to bowl although I do recall a one handed caught and bowled in the same work game

I did once in my mid teens get to the final of the annual single wicket competition with a series of lucky events.
20 Sep
7:11am, 20 Sep 2024
7,720 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Afraid I've never played myself so had to live vicariously through my sons. Eldest has top score of 99 and best bowling of 6-45, youngest has top score of 100rtd in a Sunday friendly and 93no in an age group competitive match with best bowling of 5-17
20 Sep
7:13am, 20 Sep 2024
7,721 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Eldest took a hattrick after twice previously hav
20 Sep
7:13am, 20 Sep 2024
7,722 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
...having a player dropped off a hattrick ball!

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP