Cricket Thread

8 lurkers | 104 watchers
22 Aug
1:55pm, 22 Aug 2024
22,920 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cricket is an expensive sport to play - which is why so many kids from low-to-middle income families can no longer afford to play and is partly the reason why it has become the preserve of private schools only.

Speaking of which, I do wonder how much Alex Tudor is paid to be coach at whatever private school he works at.
22 Aug
2:02pm, 22 Aug 2024
39,506 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
It's colder than yesterday!
22 Aug
2:06pm, 22 Aug 2024
22,921 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
rf_fozzy wrote:Cricket is an expensive sport to play - which is why so many kids from low-to-middle income families can no longer afford to play and is partly the reason why it has become the preserve of private schools only. Speaking of which, I do wonder how much Alex Tudor is paid to be coach at whatever private school he works at.

I do remember rocking up at a club when I decided I wanted to play a little more serious cricket and was a little surprised when they looked at me a bit funny when I said I didn't have pads and a bat etc.

Up to that point I'd been playing friendly/local league 20-over stuff with a couple of teams. I had a box and that was about it.

I might have asked how anyone was supposed to join and see if they liked it or not, which elicited some more strange looks!

In the end, although I borrowed pads for the first few games, I ended up buying pads and gloves etc, but never bought a bat as they were always too expensive (and that was when they were ~£150)
22 Aug
2:31pm, 22 Aug 2024
20,497 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
It was not an expensive game in Glasgow. All club kit, slightly rough and ready club grounds, distinctly rough municipal grounds. Main expense was new balls.
22 Aug
2:36pm, 22 Aug 2024
22,922 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote:distinctly rough municipal grounds.

When I stopped playing about 10 years ago, those were disappearing rapidly (and had been a long term trend).

The pitch I first learned to play cricket on no longer exists (well where it was is still there, but the council haven't maintained as a cricket ground for nearly 20 years).
22 Aug
2:41pm, 22 Aug 2024
32,081 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
When I first started playing (late 70's) every club had a kit bag. Very rare for someone to own their own pads. Bats lasted for years, sanded down and re-oiled every winter. And long, long before helmets.
22 Aug
2:42pm, 22 Aug 2024
32,082 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
When helmets first appeared in club cricket, we used to aim at them.
22 Aug
2:50pm, 22 Aug 2024
31,002 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
My first club (Blackwood Town CC) used to have a bunch of kit that people could use.
22 Aug
2:51pm, 22 Aug 2024
21,685 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I only ever played for work teams and at university, very few people had their own bats or kit.
22 Aug
2:53pm, 22 Aug 2024
22,923 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, the friendly team when I grew up was the same with the shared kit, as was the staff CC at the Uni.

It was only when I went to a league club that it was unusual.

Even the bottom team (they had 3) didn't usually take any shared kit.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP