Cricket Thread

3 lurkers | 104 watchers
22 Aug
2:54pm, 22 Aug 2024
32,083 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Towards the end of my playing days, I bought a Gray Nicolls bat, removed the stickers and replaced them with Grey Nicholls. Hardly anyone noticed.
22 Aug
2:55pm, 22 Aug 2024
87,741 posts
  •  
Diogenes
When I played cricket my teammates laughed at me when I bought my own bat. It was likened to the Pope buying condoms.
22 Aug
3:06pm, 22 Aug 2024
4,920 posts
  •  
phal
rf_fozzy wrote:Cricket is an expensive sport to play - which is why so many kids from low-to-middle income families can no longer afford to play and is partly the reason why it has become the preserve of private schools only. Speaking of which, I do wonder how much Alex Tudor is paid to be coach at whatever private school he works at.

Which is why Chance to Shine and the other initiatives by the ECB are so necessary and well received within schools - I believe they had their 7 millionth (yes, millionth) child through the Chance to Shine program this year since it started in 2005.

(Been to check - stat is correct 😉)
22 Aug
3:08pm, 22 Aug 2024
4,921 posts
  •  
phal
I’d be interested to see the stats for how many schools they cover or are in…. Both state schools I worked in accessed free cricket coaching/support sessions for all kids within certain year groups and after school clubs….
22 Aug
3:08pm, 22 Aug 2024
20,502 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Diogenes wrote:When I played cricket my teammates laughed at me when I bought my own bat. It was likened to the Pope buying condoms.
I got the same reaction.

One of the winter jobs was to knock in a new club bar with a bat knocker inner. Or a ball in a long sock.
22 Aug
3:09pm, 22 Aug 2024
20,503 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
* while there was some knocking in of the bar over the winter, I did mean bat.
22 Aug
3:10pm, 22 Aug 2024
31,003 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Share your makes and models folks :-)

I had two Gunn & Moore Maestros when I was in my teens. The first had 'SUB STANDARD' branded directly onto the wood on the back. The second one came from Toys R Us, and was an absolutely beautiful bat. It was a size 6, but I still have it (now stickerless).

When I went through a period of playing in the 2000s, I bought a Gray Nicholls Dynadrive, having wanted one for a very long time - but unfortunately it split. I have another Gray Nicholls now, but without going for a look, I couldn't tell you what the model is. It has about seven long thin grooves in the meat on the back.
22 Aug
3:11pm, 22 Aug 2024
22,924 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It is estimated that 200,000 children were involved in its first four years of operation. By 2015, over 2.5 million children had participated, at 11,000 state schools

en.wikipedia.org

Suspect more up to date information available through their website.

Been going a long time. 20 years in its current guise.

I've no particular issue with C2S - I think it's good. Where things fall down has always been the links between schools and into clubs.
22 Aug
3:15pm, 22 Aug 2024
87,744 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I too had a size 6 Gunn & Moore as a teenager. Can't remember anything more about it than that. I also had a Gray Nicolls in when I started playing again in my late twenties. It wasn't a very good bat, it had two wide edges and no middle. Well, that was my excuse.
22 Aug
3:23pm, 22 Aug 2024
32,084 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Gunn & Moore Maestro was "THE" bat when I was young. I had several. All bought from Redmayne and Todd, down near Nottingham train station. Guessing they were made just round the corner in those days?

Had a couple of Slazenger V500's in later years.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP