Cricket Thread

5 lurkers | 104 watchers
24 Aug
11:42am, 24 Aug 2024
27,278 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Average age of the four of us here at Scarborough is over 50. I reckon we bring the average age down though. It’s an old persons spectator sport.

Brief rain delay but hopefully back on soon.
24 Aug
1:11pm, 24 Aug 2024
19,927 posts
  •  
NDWDave
When people moan about having more than two tests in London each year, remember days like today where the ground is maybe 20% full with several stands not in use for a Sunday in the August.

If this was at the oval or lords, it would likely have been a sell out today.
24 Aug
1:22pm, 24 Aug 2024
19,928 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Although it is torrential rain in London today…
24 Aug
1:37pm, 24 Aug 2024
39,517 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I think it's more due to the fact people thought SL would be rolled over in 3 days.
25 Aug
12:32pm, 25 Aug 2024
27,286 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
A succesful cricket trip this year, albeit leaving at 5pm last night to get home was a shame. However another night would only have seen an hours play today. I found myself quite invested in the game and if true was first class cricket closer by I could easily go along regularly.

It was good to see bairstow and Robinson as recent internationals. Also lyth and the other Sussex bowler apparently had a few tests for India under his belt.

We did observe a young Yorkshire bowler whose name we don’t know that looked like he might be handy. He was quick and had a fluid action, more so than the other two bowlers. Otis Gibson seemed to be focussing on him most for the coaching he was giving.

There are also loads of funny goings on amongst the crowd and one seagull incident that sadly I didn’t witness but one of our party did.

My son who has no cricket interest quite enjoyed himself as well.

Next year we are thinking about the India test match.
25 Aug
12:59pm, 25 Aug 2024
39,520 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
Josh Hull

bbc.co.uk
27 Aug
12:32pm, 27 Aug 2024
39,529 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I think I have faced less balls in a season

bbc.com
27 Aug
12:36pm, 27 Aug 2024
27,291 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
proper cricket :-)
27 Aug
1:27pm, 27 Aug 2024
21,714 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I was initially a bit unimpressed by someone who turned up to play as the opener against a 4th XI and scored 186 with 17 fours and 12 sixes, and it seems that the Bestwick team had similar thoughts, although they have sensibly decided not to say owt.

However, it turns out that the player in question was a teenage lad and although he'd played for the 2nd XI, his top score was 2 and he'd been in the thirds for most of the season. Also it was a league match between the two bottom clubs, with two relegation places, so plenty at stake.
27 Aug
1:37pm, 27 Aug 2024
32,091 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Mini Nico came up against a rapid bowler at the softball Festival yesterday. Strictly speaking, hardball players shouldn't play at this level. All of Eastwood's hardball players umpired or helped at the bar. But Blidworth had a woman who was quick. So much so, that after her first ball, the umpire was heard to quip "Bloody hell, should we send out for pads and a helmet". Anyway, Mini Nico opened the batting and played her first ever maiden. She was really gutted when she came off, despite not getting out and playing passable defensive shots at 5 of the 6 balls. She had a bit of a waft at ball 6, but it was wide and she didn't make contact. I told her she did well, all part of learning the game, especially if she wants to progress on to hardball, as she does next season.
For the record, she faced Blidworth again later in the day, making up a team with Sandiacre who only turned up with 6. Mini Nico showed she is a quick learner by not opening the batting.
The quick bowler took 3 wickets in the first over, all bowled, including the Eastwood captain.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP