Coronavirus **support** thread

3 lurkers | 160 watchers
May 2020
7:54am, 30 May 2020
1,823 posts
  •  
annadav
Bonners - I think that driving 2 miles to exercise could be classed as staying local. I'm in Wales and 2 local council parks re-opened 3 weeks ago including the car parks. A number of people drive to the parks and walk their dogs.
jda
May 2020
7:55am, 30 May 2020
7,499 posts
  •  
jda
Now I've looked at a bunch of the new SAGE minutes which have been released (not read in detail) it seems that the "large events" advice is largely a rehash of the live football match vs pubs argument which doesn't really seem that relevant to large v small mass start runs. One is swapping a large static (and ...at least somewhat well-spaced?) crowd in a well-ventilated outdoor space, for groups packing into poorly-ventilated pubs where they will get drunk and shout in each others faces over the noise (the shouting is important, it's a big factor in droplet infection). The other is a large dense crowd forced into pens for maybe 10-30 mins prior to the race, gradually spreading out after the start, vs a gaggle of people coming together for a few seconds before the hooter starts, and spreading out very quickly thereafter. The only aspect of the running itself that might bear thinking about is closely drafting on someone's shoulder for a period of time. And snot rockets/spitting of course. Though unless there's someone close to the line of fire, that is probably pretty low risk too.
jda
May 2020
8:58am, 30 May 2020
7,500 posts
  •  
jda
theguardian.com
jda
May 2020
9:00am, 30 May 2020
7,501 posts
  •  
jda
Sorry I forgot the full URL doesn't show - it's about the TTI system.
May 2020
9:03am, 30 May 2020
37,217 posts
  •  
LindsD
I really hope it's not true or at least exaggerated, although I guess the Guardian would have checked it out. If it's true, we are f*cked.
May 2020
9:35am, 30 May 2020
2,605 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I don't think it is exaggerated.

This is mostly people supposed to be working on the next tier up: mumsnet.com
May 2020
9:39am, 30 May 2020
2,588 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Yesterday, there were about 70-100 people on our beach.

Most were in what appeared to be small household groups.

One or two slightly larger groups. It seemed that these were family members from more than one household. They weren't physically distancing from each other - but were with other groups.

But I don't like to judge. Mum and Dad might be key workers and a furloughed aunt and uncle might have been providing childcare.
May 2020
9:42am, 30 May 2020
43 posts
  •  
mathschick
erm, sounds just like a 'world beating' system!! But not in a good way ....
May 2020
9:46am, 30 May 2020
19,846 posts
  •  
Dvorak
What is your "local area"? I stay in smallish town (in Scotland) with three larger towns around me, 5-7 miles away. These towns all have the bigger shops and eg Halfords and B&Q. I would count all of these as being in my local area.

A couple of times when away shopping I've also stopped off at a local open space (not quite a park, ones of Sharkie's recs). Which has amongst other things, paths, football pitches, a 400m red blaes running track and a large car park. And taken some exercise there. They area could hold hundreds, suitably distanced (on each occasion there were about twenty people). I've also driven about five miles each way to walk on nearly completely empty golf courses.

Yesterday - seemed to be about double the road traffic (although it probably wasn't, as it was still moving). Although after a dip, lots of people out cycling or running again, though maybe not walking. And a few probably drunk youths in the evening, the girls being about two inches apart.
May 2020
9:57am, 30 May 2020
16,289 posts
  •  
Rosehip
But how can they have expected to be working on a system that wasn't live and couldn't be expected to have "customers" until the first public knew the system was live, had symptoms, and went to get a test - and then get a positive result on that test to start the ball rolling with the track and trace? - so at some point towards the middle to end of next week the need to start phoning to get contacts will begin?
Sounds like the training was delivered very badly - but I don't see how they can have expected to just jump in and start working without any "customers"

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s