Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 160 watchers
May 2020
6:27pm, 29 May 2020
1,621 posts
  •  
bonners
I have to say I dont find it that confusing. The Welsh Government briefings have been steady and reassuring. Yes I know there are difficulties with procurement (as both FiL and SiL work in the NHS directly with procurement), but at least they are being sensible. In North Wales we are unfortunately not hitting the peak yet, I'm not sure why. I know according to my FiL we have massively increased testing in North Wales, but still a bit worrying. So have to say I'm happy we're taking a cautious view and still only allowing local traffic. On every walk and run I have seen the police out and last night they were booking day trippers from scouseland who from the snippet we heard were reckoning they'd never heard of the Welsh lockdown.
May 2020
6:34pm, 29 May 2020
592 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Three separate countries each with their own differing rates of infection so makes sense to have variances in the rules. At some point it is highly likely that England will have separate regional rules as they have/had in France, Spain and Italy.
May 2020
7:02pm, 29 May 2020
42,418 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
You’re right BK. The economy needs kickstarting and having folk sat about in low risk areas doesn’t make any sense
May 2020
7:24pm, 29 May 2020
31,237 posts
  •  
halfpint
I live in an area that attracts tourists. Despite the roughly 5 miles travel restriction I reckon there were people from further afield at the beach and in our village today.
May 2020
7:43pm, 29 May 2020
3,555 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I know some people are hoping that smaller races may be able to be held in autumn, whilst realistically most folk would expect all/most of the large races to be cancelled.

However, from the recently released minutes of the SAGE meetings, this is an interesting scientific viewpoint that may go against the above hope/thinking :-

The risk from attending large events is no higher than small ones because "close contact" is the biggest risk.

source bbc.co.uk

So are they saying that standing on the start line in a group of 50 is just as dangerous as 50,000 because it's just the people within 2 metres of you that matter?
jda
May 2020
7:47pm, 29 May 2020
7,495 posts
  •  
jda
That makes some sense to me, but it seems like a bit of an oversimplification. In a crowd of 1000 you will get a superspreader. In 30 groups of 30 you won’t. And a group of 30 wont be as cramped at the start.

(Thinking particularly of races here)
um
May 2020
8:00pm, 29 May 2020
2,528 posts
  •  
um
Also - you may be in a group of 50 at start, but 2 mins later the field will be spread out.
1000 people - for the duration of the race, you'll be 'close' to quite a few others.
May 2020
8:07pm, 29 May 2020
16,273 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Both jda and um make more sense than SAGE's logic

news.sky.com
May 2020
8:08pm, 29 May 2020
16,274 posts
  •  
Rosehip
sorry - that link is to :A gang of monkeys attacked a laboratory assistant and escaped with a batch of coronavirus blood test samples, it has been reported.
May 2020
8:10pm, 29 May 2020
16,275 posts
  •  
Rosehip
(I may have heard today that there are predictions from more than one source that the 2nd wave is due to really kick off 2nd week August - or I may not, because I'm not sure I'm supposed to have heard this or not)

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s