Coronavirus **support** thread

2 lurkers | 160 watchers
Jun 2020
9:43am, 12 Jun 2020
11,242 posts
  •  
larkim
I do find it a little peculiar that single grandparents can now mix with their grandchildren, but pairs of grandparents can't. I know the state aim was to address loneliness, and that is clearly more of an issue for single grandparents that those who are still together, but a social bubble of the six of my household plus my wife's two parents (who are vulnerable but not shielding) would bring no additional risk. Having said that, I'm sure those arrangements will come in the next few weeks or so.

I guess it is way more complex to suggest that couples can mix more generally, so singling out grandparents for an exception was off the table.
Jun 2020
9:46am, 12 Jun 2020
13,694 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I'm meant to be seeing my grandmother at the weekend. She's in her 90s but with no specific health issues other than being old. My uncle lives with her and has been going out to shops the whole time, so given that we've not really done anything any more risky than that I'm relatively comfortable (not least because given the weather this week neither of us have left the house since Tuesday!) If it's wet I may use my instinct and say she should come inside rather than sitting in the garden ;)

I'm currently planning a holiday. I need to take some time off work (company policy as well as just needing a break!), not sure whether we'll actually go away but Yorkshire has lots of nice places for day trips and spending time on the bike. I'd like to get out to Spain to see Dad, but I'm still not sure when that will be possible so I'm trying to save some holiday for when I can do it.
jda
Jun 2020
9:57am, 12 Jun 2020
7,599 posts
  •  
jda
No larkim, it would clearly bring the increased risk that if you (say) introduced the virus, you could infect two elderly people rather than 1. That's double the risk, right there.
Jun 2020
9:58am, 12 Jun 2020
16,680 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We have just received an email saying we can take a voucher valid for 12 months if we reply by 23/6. Separately they have said they will inform of cancelled flights two weeks before which is 25/6. I suspect they hope people take the voucher and they know already they will be cancelling. Best bet seems to be to wait for the flight to be cancelled.
Jun 2020
9:59am, 12 Jun 2020
16,681 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Jda. If you infect one grandparent who then goes home there is a fair chance the other gets infected also.
Jun 2020
9:59am, 12 Jun 2020
7,758 posts
  •  
CStar
YP Might need to pick your brains as we are scheduled to come up to Yorkshire and Durham in late July.

Got a very positive message yesterday about Castle Howard Triathlon intending to go ahead at that time which is part of our hols, so have everything crossed. We have AirBnB's booked in Durham and nr Malton, so hopefully these will be up and running again by that stage.
jda
Jun 2020
10:17am, 12 Jun 2020
7,600 posts
  •  
jda
Yes Bazo that’s one reason why the bubble thing only applies to singles! It’s a small step to help those in the most difficult positions.
JR
Jun 2020
10:35am, 12 Jun 2020
357 posts
  •  
JR
But then again if you believe the cause is just it appears you can do WTF you like. Boils my pee that whilst we comply others seems to be sticking two fingers up to the rest of us.
Jun 2020
10:45am, 12 Jun 2020
17,699 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
since i'm WFH I get loads of calls .... we are on the telephone preference thingy and a private number but still get cold calls and the scammers!

As I result if I don't know the number I pick up the call and say nothing - then typically hang up in seconds!

I expect that the track and trace team will have a lot of issues like this. If you have been at home for weeks and are fed up with cold calls you may not answer (or just swear down the phone like my hubby occasionally does! LOL!)
jda
Jun 2020
10:53am, 12 Jun 2020
7,601 posts
  •  
jda
I usually don't answer to unknown numbers. They can leave a message if legit.

Given how easy it is to message by less intrusive methods, I actually find it pretty rude when people break off live interactions to to answer a call.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s