Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
Sep 2020
1:50pm, 19 Sep 2020
40,800 posts
  •  
LindsD
I just liked the presentation of the data. It's clear what you can and can't do.

Totri, we can't see your pics.
Sep 2020
1:58pm, 19 Sep 2020
917 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
Doh twitter.com anyway. The idea behind my points:

1. Most people will only get mild symptoms. (Whitty)
2. Of those that do get ill a very small percent need to got to hospital. And an even smaller percent need ICU or worse. (Whitty)
3. We must shield and protect the most vulnerable. Lockdowns disproportionately affect the poorest. (Some bloke from WHO yesterday on R4).
4. The young and fit are at least risk.

5. So to allow people to live some life and reduce the risks of cancelling cancer treatment, MH risks etc then we should allow for that IMO. You could even have regional scores. I don’t want to go the pub but I want to go for a group run so I should be able to use my 30 pts to do that rather than blanket open/shut because right now I see businesses trying and then having the rug pulled out from under as they get on their feet. Centurión running have been great.
Sep 2020
3:04pm, 19 Sep 2020
67,991 posts
  •  
swittle
Some politicians are to be interviewed voluntarily re apparent difficulty abiding by the rules. ['Irish Times', today, headline: Police to interview Michelle O'Neill in Bobby Storey funeral probe]

irishnews.com
Sep 2020
3:04pm, 19 Sep 2020
67,992 posts
  •  
swittle
^ 'News'.
Sep 2020
3:45pm, 19 Sep 2020
11,127 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I like that graphic, LindsD.

Bazo, I agree that it would be much easier if all 4 bits of the UK could have the same rules on numbers of people and from how many households. Less room for people to be confused on what they can and can't do.

Totri, your points system is a nice idea but how would it ne regulated? Or do you think most people would stick to it if it was explained?

I got some plastic crates from Wilko's today. My lockdown/Brexit stockpile is now neatly organised. I have enough basic ingredients to last 2-3 weeks and now I know exactly what I need to top up on. I realise I've probably bought slightly too much pesto and anchovies in oil but they'll keep and I'll work my way through them next year :-)

I'll just need to buy a few fresh ingredients to keep it interesting along with milk, bread and fruit. So if we do end up with any weird shortages I won't be adding to the problems by fighting over the last pack of loo roll in Sainsbury's! ;-)
Sep 2020
3:58pm, 19 Sep 2020
918 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
I recognise the difficulties in implementing without draconian big brother style controls. Right now I can run (not) Parkrun with a group, have a coffee with them, packed park with kids, lunch out, sesh-on in the pub, dinner out before meeting friends at home. A lot of contact points. I think I probably should only be doing 2 higher risk activities (Work, pub, etc) a day at most.

Linds graphic is great - remember when the U.K. had levels! Ha ha!
Sep 2020
4:12pm, 19 Sep 2020
23,746 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think the fact that so many people are seeing fit to build up Brexit boxes shows what a ridiculous country we are these days. Entirely self-inflicted. Not exactly a vote of confidence in the future, is it?
Sep 2020
4:15pm, 19 Sep 2020
11,130 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
Before this year I wouldn't have bothered JB, except for chocolate ;-) But seeing how our just-in-time delivery system can't cope with unexpected changes to shopping habits I'm not taking anything for granted now.
Sep 2020
4:32pm, 19 Sep 2020
1,652 posts
  •  
Paul N
Life imitating art on the BBC website

Coronavirus: 'Rule-breaking Bolton pub crawl' saw cases rise

https://youtu.be/IqUyKNyF3Y0
Sep 2020
5:17pm, 19 Sep 2020
919 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
Just finally using a soft play party credit for son’s 5yo birthday from March. Empty. Basically private hire!

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.