Coronavirus discussion thread

2 lurkers | 136 watchers
JR
Sep 2020
8:41pm, 19 Sep 2020
895 posts
  •  
JR
While you’re all out at the pub but saying a second lockdown would be OK - consider this. I had my almost 80 year old mother (sole career for my 80 yr old father with vascular dementia) in tears & absolutely today fearing a fine or worse if we visited her or she left home on anything other than an essential basis. It is abhorrent that those who say a lockdown would be OK (NE in local lockdown) but don’t see the absolute hypocrisy of this as you continue your trips out! I’m incensed by this today - beyond rage that my parents & other elderly people are being made to be scared witless.
Sep 2020
8:45pm, 19 Sep 2020
17,579 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Do trips to Greece get included in that ?

Other than shopping each week I have been out once where I had lunch in a pub.
Sep 2020
8:46pm, 19 Sep 2020
46,451 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Genuinely sad to hear about your folks JR. That is desperately sad

However, I doubt very much that you’ll find much support among regular posters on Fetch for a lockdown. Nobody wants it; for the economy, for the quality of their and their family and friends’ lives, or for the economy. And as for anyone keen enough to be a regular pubgoer why would they want to be excluded from going out?
Sep 2020
8:48pm, 19 Sep 2020
924 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
Agreed my grandad felt similar. A lockdown should be last resort.

I’m lucky that I don’t have any friends so won’t meet with more than 6 but wouldn’t hesitate to meet Mum, brother and sister in a group (7). Pointless number.

Also lucky I drink at home alone so no need to go pub. You see there’s positives in everything.
Sep 2020
8:51pm, 19 Sep 2020
46,454 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
^ I’ve got economy twice above

I was going to say economy, quality of life and (mental) health
Sep 2020
9:01pm, 19 Sep 2020
17,580 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Although there are many good and valid reasons not to have a lockdown, with the current rise in infections what are the realistic alternatives ?
jda
Sep 2020
9:07pm, 19 Sep 2020
8,405 posts
  •  
jda
"Herd immunity"

One big assumption in that being that immunity lasts long enough to be useful. Which I think is quite likely, albeit not certain.

Even deaths are ticking up quite markedly now. They'll be double within a fortnight (maybe 10 days). Still quite small in absolute terms, it's the potential to double and double and double again that really matters.
Sep 2020
9:15pm, 19 Sep 2020
46,459 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
How will die and where jda?
JR
Sep 2020
9:19pm, 19 Sep 2020
897 posts
  •  
JR
Trips to Greece are precisely because the rules are ridiculous & make no sense. Life is for living - thankfully the Gareth’s are doing that. At least I’m living while the rest of you are complicit in what is increasingly looking like a prison of your own making. I’m not calling for or supporting a lockdown though am I? Thats where the hypocrisy lies.
JR
Sep 2020
9:20pm, 19 Sep 2020
898 posts
  •  
JR
Gareth’s? That should say Greeks.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.