Coronavirus discussion thread

3 lurkers | 136 watchers
Jul 2021
7:25am, 15 Jul 2021
6,179 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Yes my role is office based (with occasional offshore trips- for which mandatory tests are required)

I don’t expect them to supply the tests as they’re so easy to get from the NHS though
Jul 2021
7:25am, 15 Jul 2021
39,180 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And yet teachers do seem to be bringing it home from school - that's a guess from anecdotes, no evidence to back it up.

Linds, thanks for correction on LFTs. :-) G
Jul 2021
7:28am, 15 Jul 2021
39,181 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Out of interest, for those who are office type workers and hence *could* theoretically work from home 100% who would like to go back to office? I actually prefer working face to face. Sitting in a room at home and using video isn't my cup of tea.
Jul 2021
7:44am, 15 Jul 2021
48,431 posts
  •  
LindsD
Me. I hate wfh all the time. Before I wfh between 1-3 days a week. That was perfect
Jul 2021
7:54am, 15 Jul 2021
15,091 posts
  •  
larkim
No doubt some teachers are bringing it home, but teachers are full members of society too and spend more time away from school than at it, so there is a pretty good chance any covid cases are picked up away from school too. Anecdotally we've had teachers pass on to other teachers in a "chat over a coffee" scenario or by sharing lifts, but still no definitive student to teacher transmission.

I'd hate to WFH more than about 1 day a fortnight!!
Jul 2021
7:57am, 15 Jul 2021
5,921 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
The 3 people in my OH's department are the only ones still wearing masks, despite emails from their employer stating masks must be worn indoors. When challenged by him the main response is " I've had my jabs so I can't get it now"
He retires at the end of the month and is practically counting the hours now and I don't blame him!
Jul 2021
8:05am, 15 Jul 2021
3,994 posts
  •  
Curly45
I'd like to stay WFH full time, but am likely to be required to go back to the office 2 days a week. Not because of the risks of catching covid, I just prefer work life with less office politics and more focus time.

I'd love the office be retrofitted to act like a kind of clubhouse with lots of meeting space, some large collaboration tables and a few desks, but I suspect that is not going to happen.
Jul 2021
8:12am, 15 Jul 2021
26,533 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
definitely prefer not having to put up with the "kids" wittering about Love Island and how drunk they got last weekend and how drunk they intend to get this weekend followed by I have no money
WFH makes training (bike run) easier too and I can sit in kit not worrying about what I look like
I'd like a hybrid in say once a fortnight for F2F meeting
There is one lad in our team who I haven't "seen" for over a year and he hardly bothers to use teams or attend meetings - I am assuming management are OK with this but given he is also a bad worker always making mistakes ... well he should have been booted out way before covid started!
Jul 2021
8:36am, 15 Jul 2021
15,179 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
LMH yes the premise is your phone has been in proximity but if you know you’ve not been in direct contact with someone just because there was someone within 2m (even if guidance is 1m outside) it’s unrealistic to then be isolating I know categorically if I know I’ve not been in contact with someone (that face to face contact that creates a risk) then it’s bonkers. I’m lucky I can isolate quite easily and still WFH & get paid but I know many who can’t. If I’m indoors I have contact tracing on if I’m outdoors I am switching it off.

The question arose as in 15 months never heard of anyone being pinged I’m now at 5-6 in the last month. And people I know who’ve done what is asked of them from the guidance.
Jul 2021
8:39am, 15 Jul 2021
15,180 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
On WFH I am happy at home I don’t ‘work’ with anyone in my team but I miss the old days of chatting and supporting each other, making a brew seeing others colleagues. But our office is so far removed from ‘normal’ that it freaks me out going in.

We are apparently relaxing the requirement from next month to wear a mask outside - current rules is once you drive on site masks must be worn so even walking solo through the outside car park masks are on! If you’re with another person outside you do still have to wear them.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.