Coronavirus discussion thread

136 watchers
Jul 2021
9:21am, 15 Jul 2021
415 posts
  •  
AndyS
I'd much rather remain 100% WFH, but it's been made very clear to me that we'll be going back to 100% in the office as soon as is "reasonable". I think that will be the day I resign (and, given my age, it's unlikely I'll ever find another job, so it will also be the day I retire)
Jul 2021
9:26am, 15 Jul 2021
39,183 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Isn't it weird Andy? Some companies (Google, hi-tech maybe?) are saying 100% WFH (at least optionally) and some are saying def more WFH (e.g. Bazo and I are in different financial services companies in central Scotland, with similar statements about WFH, and Metro Nome's energy company seems similar policy) and yet others are trying to get people back in asap. Very different cultures?
Jul 2021
9:33am, 15 Jul 2021
39,184 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Anyone else get annoyed with the BBC's language sometimes? I thought the Today programme on Radio 4 was meant to be news, but the presenter (is it Edward Sturton?) keeps using language like "Rich footballers and business people can travel into UK with ease, but a hard working family can't take a well-earned break in the sun..." WTF?! Just give us the facts, stop putting your idiot spin on it.

Mark Drakeford, FM of Wales, asks "just this year, surely for this one year, take your summer holiday in your home country." And then the tourist board bit... "... enjoy all that Wales has to offer." And I think Scotland is urging same. What is the obsession with going to flippin Magaluf?!

(I sympathise by the way with those wanting to visit family abroad who haven't been able to do so for over a year etc.)
Jul 2021
9:34am, 15 Jul 2021
194 posts
  •  
mathschick
My company, for the last year have been saying permanent wfh, we are more productive wfh. I work in and insurance tech company.
Husband, similar role but in a defence industry company need to start doing 3 days a week in the office from next week (but I think permanently hybrid solution now)
Jul 2021
9:36am, 15 Jul 2021
26,537 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Chris Evans was saying this morning that he really wanted to take the kids to Portugal and listed off that he could and the rules and that he had looked at pricing then said
But sorry no we're not going in case we bring a new variant back
Jul 2021
9:46am, 15 Jul 2021
20,416 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
On a separate working note. Mrs Axe works on the reception of another central scotland financial services company. WFH clearly not possible in her role. She has been furloughed since March 2020 and most of her people are WFH with no client meetings or need for a reception.

When furlough changed on 1st July, the employer wasnt happy paying the 10% of furlough for Mrs Axe to do nothing and so Mrs Axe has been called back to work to sit on a reception with nothing to do and the employer is paying 100%

That just seems a bonkers decision from the employer, although as a tax payer I am happy and also will be pleased with the 20% pay rise when Mrs Axe gets her next salary payment

Mrs Axe though is struggling already as she has nothing to do.
Jul 2021
9:57am, 15 Jul 2021
4,733 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I agree Happy - there is a big difference between wanting to visit a sick or elderly relative and 'deserving' or 'needing' a foreign holiday. I'd like one but I neither think I deserve or need it.
Jul 2021
10:04am, 15 Jul 2021
20,417 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I am with you both on holidays abroad. Our 2020 summer holiday is postponed for the 2nd time to 2022 now and we are taking a week in York instead.

I would love to be abroad somewhere in the warmth where you can totally switch off and relax. However I just dont think it feels safe or appropriate at present to do so.

I see the rules for the balearics has suddenly switched causing issues for those that went when it became an option. However the must have considered the risks of that being that case and for me its just not worth the risk.
Jul 2021
10:05am, 15 Jul 2021
39,185 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Quick anecdote update on the guys in our small team who have had it. Turns out the one that said he didn't have symptoms did have lethargy, aches and pains (not fever, I don't think) and the brain fog thing. Quite severe, by the way he described it. And these are reasonably sharp folk.

The guy who had the symptoms, but none of his family had it, and he then self isolated in a room in his home for 10 days, they've all got it now. His wife quite severe case - also double vaxxed same as him. And his two late teen kids have it too, but with no symptoms (all LFT test results).

Quite frightening how quickly it can rip through, despite vax, it seems.
Jul 2021
10:07am, 15 Jul 2021
39,186 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's crazy about Mrs Axe being asked to sit on a reception of a building that doesn't have anyone coming in! Poor her.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.