BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Sep 2008
8:50pm, 14 Sep 2008
3,287 posts
  •  
hammerite
If your not sure John best take it to the shop.
Sep 2008
9:38pm, 14 Sep 2008
476 posts
  •  
JulesO
John - I put the paperwork in almost as soon as the scheme came out at work, so hope it will be soon...

Can't wait to try the new wheels. I'm not getting anything too fancy, A Carrera Vulcan Limited Edition - nice and lightweight, compared with the iron lump I have now, with disc brakes - what's that all about? Crazy stuff :)
Sep 2008
9:42pm, 14 Sep 2008
7,951 posts
  •  
JohnJ
Sounds nice Jules. Disc brakes are a luxury as opposed to a necessity. They do stop you well though:-) just dont ride without pads like I did ;-)
Sep 2008
10:21pm, 14 Sep 2008
7,200 posts
  •  
idio
Depends on what type of riding you do and how quick you go to consider if disc brakes are a luxury.
Sep 2008
10:26pm, 14 Sep 2008
477 posts
  •  
JulesO
Well, as I said on my Cycle to Work paperwork... I'll be doing 50% of my journeys to work on it..... won't I? ;)
Sep 2008
8:35am, 15 Sep 2008
7,100 posts
  •  
GregP
This is one of those questions that would incite howls of derision on TriTalk, but here goes...

I has to put a new number sticker on my headtube yesterday (47, as it goes - presumably they didn't have any stickers which just read 'not going to challenge for 'first out of the water'). Which meant I had to take off my last sticker (8504, from London - tragic that I remember this). Except...

Its left a nasty sticky residue of nerr. How am I removing this without buggering my paintwork, please?
Sep 2008
8:50am, 15 Sep 2008
752 posts
  •  
Slowboy
Try a bike friendly de-greaser and elbow grease.

Or

Rub it with some solvent - turps or white spirit should be fine. The bike frame should have a good top coat of gloss well and truly baked on, a bit of solvent shouldn't hurt it.
Sep 2008
8:52am, 15 Sep 2008
7,104 posts
  •  
GregP
White spirit was going to be my recourse, but I wasn't sure whether it would eat the varnish, as such and whether Fairy Liquid mught be a better idea?
Sep 2008
9:00am, 15 Sep 2008
753 posts
  •  
Slowboy
probably best to start with mild stuff and work your way up the scale. If it's actually a 'claggy' residue try dusting some talc on it and then rubbing it off with your fingers.....the talc may make it ball up and drop off. Worth a try.
Sep 2008
9:15am, 15 Sep 2008
First-time poster!!
  •  
On the subject of brakes....
I started out on my journey to work this morning, in the rain and turned back after a mile cos the brakes on my SCR2 are just so crap, it is scary! Had to put my foot out to stop at the bottom of my road, which isn't that steep and I wasn't going that fast. Have used the bike many times in the rain before which is fine - if you have 50m stopping distance. Changed the pads on the back to supposed all weather ones. Any suggestions about what I can do? Have had a look to see if anyone else has had this problem, but I can't find anything - is it just me?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP