BIKE THREAD

200 watchers
Jul 2008
1:22pm, 4 Jul 2008
2,898 posts
  •  
hammerite
and a fan will get in the way half way up Alpe on stage 17....... that reminds me, I'll have to get some handcuffs and secure our lad to an immovable object, if anyone is likely to get int he way he will!
Jul 2008
1:26pm, 4 Jul 2008
3,518 posts
  •  
GregP
We do a special course on that sort of thing.
Jul 2008
1:27pm, 4 Jul 2008
7,848 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I'm looking for a good bike for

A Off Road nowt to tough in terrain 200-300 quid

B A good racer one to possibly do Lands End to JOG (next year) price 400-500

C Tribike maybe in the future price well nowt too pricey

I already have a Ridgeback Velocity which is a (pardon the pun) pretty good middle of the road road/hybrid bike certainly not off road. Not very quick but ok.

Any suggestions
Jul 2008
2:01pm, 4 Jul 2008
2,132 posts
  •  
Tri Mikey
HOD there are many off road bikes in the region of 200-300 quid. But depends what sort of Off Road you mean. There is a big differnce between canal tow paths and mountains of North Wales but each are off road.
With regards a good racer for LEJOG. I did this on a touring bike but friends did it on racers. The touring bike is great if you have no one to carry your stuff . It's difficult to carry panniers on a racing bike. If you have a back up vehicle then a road racer is fine.
Put some tri bars on it and you have a tri bike which is good enough to compete. See my earlier postings about all the expensive gear.
I was beating guys 10 yrs younder than me who had bikes worth 2k more in a TT the other night.

Don't spend loads on bikes until you know exactly what you want.
Jul 2008
2:04pm, 4 Jul 2008
3,520 posts
  •  
GregP
If you just like to bif around in mud now and again you can get away with something cheap and chuckable on the MTB front - mine's got a rigid fork for all love. But if it was expensive and shiny I'd be frightened about breaking it, or even getting it muddy, which sort of defeats the point.
Jul 2008
2:09pm, 4 Jul 2008
7,853 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Cheers Mikey

Canal Tow Path mainly - that'll have a bit of pace too, I've seen a Diamond Back about 270 down the end of my road was about 350 down in price as last years model.
Jul 2008
2:09pm, 4 Jul 2008
2,133 posts
  •  
Tri Mikey
My £400 Dawes Comp has done coast to coast, The red bull run and many other miles off road. It has front suspension only. It's not a good as others on the market which probably give a better ride, but it did the job.
Greg, I'm not good at maintenance (don't see the point of getting it all dirty, cleaning it and getting it dirty again) so hardly ever do any. Just wheel it out the garage and go.

I'm sure you could pick up a £1000 off road bike second hand for £300
Jul 2008
2:12pm, 4 Jul 2008
2,165 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
HOD, can't really help on B and C but the best for A, well the one after "exhaustive research" I am waiting to get is the 5.2 Rockrider from Decathlon. Cheap, chuckable and as good as bikes twice the price (or so I am led to believe.

And give you change for B.....
Jul 2008
2:50pm, 4 Jul 2008
7,855 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I'm enquiring about 2nd Hand bikes saw a TREK 18" 24 gear type bike for 130 and a Diamondback for a bit less.

How much is the Decathlon ones ?
Jul 2008
3:21pm, 4 Jul 2008
2,136 posts
  •  
Tri Mikey
Look at the equipment , make and model gears, brakes, wheels etc.
Cycle websites like Evans, Wiggle, Ribble will give prices. Wibble do a great value road bike for about £500 quid. I think they are selling off bikes from 2007 range very cheap too.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP