Baking thread

4 lurkers | 98 watchers
12 Mar
7:13am, 12 Mar 2024
291 posts
  •  
Runningbauble21
I love fruit cake, it definitely counts for me especially if it's a chocolate fruit and nut cake 🤤
13 Mar
8:18pm, 13 Mar 2024
960 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
How can you not count fruit cake, fruit cake is lovely. I admit, you can get a dry mediocre fruit cake, but the same is true of most cake types.

I lovely moist fruit cake, with marzipan and icing is one of my all time favourite foods!

I've never tried a chocolate fruit and nut cake (yet), but I have a birthday coming up in 6 weeks :)
13 Mar
8:19pm, 13 Mar 2024
52,582 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Dribble
13 Mar
9:00pm, 13 Mar 2024
67,150 posts
  •  
LindsD
Agree Jenelopy
13 Mar
9:49pm, 13 Mar 2024
3,629 posts
  •  
cackleberry
My mates mum made the best Christmas cake I've ever had. I was very disappointed she didn't send any this year just gone.
13 Mar
9:53pm, 13 Mar 2024
3,630 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Also, going back to Runningbauble21's cake, a well executed Victoria Sponge is a delight.

Just, cake. Basically.

(I was about to say I've not had any decent cake for ages, then remembered there was post-run cake last Thursday. But that was a week ago now!)
15 Mar
12:17pm, 15 Mar 2024
12,484 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Does anyone have a favourite simnel cake recipe? Including making your own marzipan if possible. I always used mum's recipe but I don't know where I put it when I cleared the house. I've not made one for years and I've promised the kids.
15 Mar
12:28pm, 15 Mar 2024
7,016 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
This is the one I make though you're probably looking for a round cake?

Simnel Loaf
175g softened butter
174g caster sugar
75g glace cherries – quartered
3 large free range eggs
125g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
1 level tsp mixed spice
350g mixed dried fruit
6 tblspns brandy
500g marzipan
Soak dried fruit and cherries overnight in brandy
Preheat oven to 150C
Double line 1 x 2lb or 2 x 1lb loaf tins
Cream butter and sugar, beat eggs and add along with all other ingredients apart from marzipan. Stir until evenly mixed.
Put half mixture in base of tin, roll out half marzipan to size of tin and lay on top, cover with remaining mix. Bake for one hour (1lb tin) or two hours (2lb tin).
Remove lining paper and cool on wire rack.
Once cool roll out remaining marzipan to fit top of cake, brush cake with a little warmed jam and lay marzipan on top.

I've only bothered making my own marzipan once and used this recipe which worked well:

Marzipan recipe (double for 8” square cake)
To make 450g (1 lb) marzipan
225g (8oz) ground almonds
125g (4oz) golden caster sugar

125g (4oz), sifted golden icing sugar
1 large egg,
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sherry
1-2 drops vanilla extract.

Put the ground almonds and sugars into a bowl and stir to combine. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, then add to the dry ingredients.

Stir well to mix, pounding gently to release some of the oil from the almonds. Knead with your hands until smooth, then cover until ready to use.
15 Mar
2:11pm, 15 Mar 2024
67,177 posts
  •  
LindsD

You can see by the dirt how much this is used. It's my Mum's; I've never tried it.
15 Mar
2:11pm, 15 Mar 2024
67,178 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good Housekeeping New Cooking :D

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555