175g (6oz) plain flour

1½tsp baking powder

200g (7oz) caster sugar

250g cooked beetroot

3 medium eggs

200ml (7fl oz) sunflower oil

100g (3½oz) dark chocolate, finely chopped

icing sugar
Preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180°C, fan160°C, then grease and line the bottom of a 23cm (8½ - 9in) springform cake tin. Sieve the cocoa, flour, baking powder and sugar into a large mixing bowl.
Drain and halve the beetroot, then blend in a food processor. With the machine running, add the eggs one at a time, then pour in the oil. Blend the mixture until the liquid is just smooth.
Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix in the chocolate. Pour into the tin and cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool. Dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.
Aug 2020
11:45am, 24 Aug 2020
28,133 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I took may old man, over the phone, through baking a straight forward white loaf (after sending him the recipe), it seems it was a success, he fed my older brother and his son bacon sarnies when they sorted out his lawn and hedges on Saturday.

No pic, my old man doesn't run to any sort of modern tech.
Aug 2020
12:07pm, 24 Aug 2020
40,033 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's pretty impressive.
Aug 2020
12:11pm, 24 Aug 2020
45,528 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Thanks LMH. We have four or five in the garden to do something with. Beetroot is one of the very few things I genuinely don’t like eating so baking with them makes sense
Aug 2020
2:43pm, 24 Aug 2020
3,187 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Well done you and him WS.

Not even roasted DT? I do love a roasted beetroot.

I obtained more windfall apples and pears today and picked some blackberries too. I think I may be baking tomorrow - might try pear or apple and blackberry crumbly fingers and/or possibly a pear and blackberry upside down cake. I do wish baking were not my distraction activity of choice when I can't run!
Aug 2020
4:13pm, 24 Aug 2020
45,535 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Never thought of roasting them. I’ve never really liked the smell of vinegar (and it got worse after chemo last year) and always think of pickled beetroot
Aug 2020
4:31pm, 24 Aug 2020
3,188 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Roast beetroot are lovely DT- got to be worth a try. Do you like goats cheese? Lovely with some of that crumbled on top or just in a roast veg traybake.

Rosehip (I think) made a Dorset apple cake recently- any chance of a tried and tested recipe rather than me looking a random one up on the internet?
Aug 2020
4:55pm, 24 Aug 2020
17,518 posts
  •  
Rosehip
wasn't me - I don't think - though we've had so many apple-based baked the last couple of weeks it might have been!

sundaybaking.co.uk looks like the same recipe as I use

though my favourite apple cake is this one
goodhousekeeping.com
- but without the nasty cinnamon
Aug 2020
4:59pm, 24 Aug 2020
45,537 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Think I’d rather have cinnamon cake with no apple than vice versa ;-)
Aug 2020
5:00pm, 24 Aug 2020
3,190 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks Rosehip.

I love cinnamon too DT.

About This Thread

Maintained by LindsD
Can't find one, so I thought I would start one, to share ideas, results and recipes....and the all-important pictures.

Recipes we like: cakes

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=552

Recipes we like: bread

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=553

Recipes we like: savoury snacks

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=554

Recipes we like: biscuits

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=555