Working From Home

4 lurkers | 30 watchers
Jan 2021
9:27am, 19 Jan 2021
822 posts
  •  
Reiver
Hi guys, wfh here too. I love the fact that I don't have to travel from central Northumberland into Newcastle city centre. I can use my saved commute time for running and cycling. I don't think we will ever go back to full time in the office, although I would happily go in once a fortnight/month for teambuilding etc.
Muttley, you make a good point. I know my colleagues and know who to speak to for different issues. However, my daughter is currently on a years placement in the middle of her degree. Since starting on July 1st, she has never been into her office, never met any colleagues in real life, and as a quiet 21yr old she is finding it really difficult to join in with chat at group meetings.
Jan 2021
9:35am, 19 Jan 2021
13,171 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
How are we all doing? I am finding life a lot harder - still don’t want to go back to the office, but the start up feels relentless this year.

A job has come up internally (different business unit) it specifies 2 location options but I’m told (from a good source) that remote working is the future so don’t let that put me off.

Stressing as I have so much to do to handover in a good state if I was to get it and also integrating in a team remotely would be hard but I’ve braved it out and we’ll see.

Just to find my zone to crack on with this so huge to do list.
Jan 2021
9:37am, 19 Jan 2021
13,172 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Reiver the saved commute for running is the best! But I feel for your daughter. We have a young girl moved into our team, she was our team previously but reorg put her in another area. She is very quiet and I’m conscious on team calls 4 of us worked in same office and have a good relationship and you can’t get a word in edgeways. I keep bringing her into conversation but it’s hard.
Jan 2021
9:38am, 19 Jan 2021
22,404 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Really struggling in 2021
work load has finally dropped but I feel very deflated and sad
I can do my job without thinking so no challenge just busier or less busy days and OMG it bores me now
Jan 2021
9:50am, 19 Jan 2021
14,045 posts
  •  
MarkyMarkMark (3M)
WFH is fine. I am getting a bit fed up with reading the long documents about closing down (permanently) our offices.....!

Clearly the penny has dropped - we don't need to be in a big office sharing "our" germs quite so much.

I'm missing going out running in daylight though. Even in winter I used to arrive at the office in the mornings in the light! Whereas now, my running happens before breakfast, in the dark. (Except on my days off, of course.)
Jan 2021
9:57am, 19 Jan 2021
823 posts
  •  
Reiver
Hi geordiegirl, I was hoping that if my daughter did well during the placement, that she would have a job offer when she's finished her masters. However, I think the isolation of wfh is putting her off. Despite the fact that the younger generation seem to spend all their time on their phones, they also need social interactions!
EP, sorry to hear that. I hope things change for the better for you.
Jan 2021
10:08am, 19 Jan 2021
7,968 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I’ve found it very isolating, it’s perhaps no coincidence I’ve only worked 3 of the last 11 months as it was a role I could do from the office. Thankfully I earned enough in that time to get my NI stamp for the year.

Even though I currently have the option to work in an office, given everyone else is at home it’s the same thing really.
Jan 2021
10:28am, 19 Jan 2021
4,734 posts
  •  
westmoors
I'm fed up with WFH. I miss the office banter and seeing my colleagues. We have been requested not to use video on webex/skype meetings to keep bandwith down. So I have only heard my colleagues in the last 10 months.

Communication from HR is that we will be continuing in this vein for at least another 4 months. I don't save much commuting time as work was/is only a 10 minute drive away.
Jan 2021
10:42am, 19 Jan 2021
7,969 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
The worst thing I’ve found about my brief experiences of WFH is the people whose hobby seems to be their job, for them WFH means they can now spend their commute time working as well!
Jan 2021
10:43am, 19 Jan 2021
13,176 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
My commute was the same westmoors, I’ve had 2 video calls since April, 1 only this head with a couple of team and we have only stated to have regular calls as a team too. Our LM has just been too busy to do them but she’s trying now.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
It doesn't look like we will all be returning to the office any time soon.

I've done 4...