Working From Home

30 watchers
Dec 2020
10:12am, 28 Dec 2020
967 posts
  •  
Muttley
I guess that if we're wfh then it's likely to be computer-based. So the key thing is to have ergonomically comfortable working conditions - eg a proper workstation and chair, not being hunched over a laptop at the kitchen table. If you're employed, as opposed to self-employed, then (I think - check if this matters to you) that your employer retains a duty of care and might be expected to chip in with the costs of setting up for wfh. H&S and all that. And look out for equal treatment and no discrimination if there are cuts and selections for redundancy - you might not be physically present in the office but you still have rights.

Also, I think it's important to be clear about output targets and supervision. I make sure that I get my work done a little ahead of deadline (I'm a translator), taking breaks as needed. And I'm firm with my managers (who are in the US) -- contact is best via the company chat board, you can call me via Zoom if you must (no cams), no you can't Whatsapp me because I don't have a smartphone (not entirely true ...).

But ultimately, I'm in the fortunate position of having a couple of occupational pensions and no debts so if really necessary I can just walk away.
Dec 2020
11:00am, 28 Dec 2020
1,227 posts
  •  
Snoot
Agree with Muttley about getting a decent set up, I was at a bureau at the start but have since ditched a spare bed and got a decent desk & chair (so like McG now have two desks, bureau is home and the desk is work).
Your employer is still responsible for making sure you've an appropriate DSE assessment for your 'work station', mine reset the date on our DSE assessments and added an additional WFH risk assessment to try to make sure people had decent set ups, certainly a lot of kit has been picked up from offices or sent out new!
Definitely ended up working longer hours though due to no travel time, have been back in a office just 4 times and once to a construction site. Can't see me being back in the office full time for a long time yet...
Had some interesting discussions with our main client though who used to insist that if we were using design staff from other offices they 'must' spend 2 or 3 days a week in the local office as there was 'no possible way' they could work effectively without face to face contact with other team members - waiting for those challenges to come back once vaccinations are widespread!!
Dec 2020
5:04pm, 28 Dec 2020
5,506 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I have only been into my office three times since March. My manager was organising a office-based rota from January so that there was a 30% presence but that has been put on hold.

I certainly don't miss the commute and to break up the working day with some household tasks is good, even if it is hanging out the washing or doing the washing-up. I am conscientious enough not to include chores within my working hours so that I can confidently say that I have done my hours each day.

It was harder when the schools were off as the children were quite demanding of my attention. Since September, work has been much easier in that I can get on with my work without unwanted distractions.

So far, I have only taken half my annual leave whereas by now, I can count on one hand how many days I have to last me until March. Looking forward to carrying quite a lot of days over until 2021-22, so I may take more than one day off after a marathon if normality is possible towards the latter part of 2021.
Dec 2020
5:29pm, 28 Dec 2020
32,238 posts
  •  
Seratonin
I have been wfh since covid started. I was a designated key worker when a lot of people were furloughed as I plan/arrange school transport for school children with special needs. Those first three months were really chaotic as although most pupils were off school we needed to arrange transport for children of key workers and there were restrictions on how may pupils could be in a vehicle.

Generally, I have enjoyed wfh as I have not had to do my 45 minute commute to be in the office for 08.00 each day. I haven't missed the office that much as the team have been in regular contact via WhatsApp and Zoom or Skype.

I would say that I have been more productive wfh but was initially worried about whether my productivity was being judged. On reflection, I would say that I am working harder than before as I use the time that I would have been commuting at the desk - especially in the evening. I do feel fresher as a result of not having to commute though.

I don't really want to go back into the office now. Team performance has not diminished with the only downside being that we don't have access to the printer/copiers to be able to send letters to parents.

I used to print a lot of stuff off as I prefer to read physical copies rather than pdf's but having to rely on being in a paperless environment has taught me to be far more disciplined in this respect.
Dec 2020
5:44pm, 28 Dec 2020
13,772 posts
  •  
HarkyHarkHark
And don't forget to claim your tax allowance too to (partially?) cover the additional costs - heat, light, power. And especially extra kettle boiling for coffee!

I'll try to look out the "helpful" suggestions from my employers, who have been pretty good throughout (been WFH since March!), but the key ones are around setting a working routine for yourself, and making sure there you keep a clear divide between work and home (shut the door on your work space if possible!) too.
Dec 2020
6:00pm, 28 Dec 2020
5,508 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I have been part of the Shielding project so I am working my usual role in social services and doubling-up with the Shielding, which may restart any moment. I have my key worker letter but have only used it to get a Blue Light Card.

We have been told that our work will not cover any heating or lighting costs. Instead, they have just said that we would see the benefits in the non-use of petrol and fares.
Dec 2020
6:22pm, 28 Dec 2020
21,748 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I Ve done the HMRC thing makes about £5 a month difference

Nothing from work

I’m one of the lucky ones as I had an office set up from teaching

I know 3 people in the team bought cardboard desks 😮
But the youngsters don’t help themselves... one said in the group chat the other day that she was too cold to get out of bed so was working on her laptop in bed!
Dec 2020
6:57pm, 28 Dec 2020
33,718 posts
  •  
halfpint of mulled cider
EP you just prompted me to work out how many weeks I’ve done. 40 for me too. In the early days I started early and took a 2 hr lunch break. I did a decent dog walk and had time for lunch too. Since Aug things have gone a bit mad and I’ve struggled with a decent lunch break. The dog and I have both suffered. I intend to make an effort to reinstate long lunch breaks 2/3 times a week minimum (90 mins probably).

I try to be careful about keeping my hours in check. I have an office (spare room) and I find having a work space really helps. I’m all set up with a standing desk. I anticipate being at home until Easter at least and I’ll continue to wfh 2/3 days a week even when all this madness is over.
Dec 2020
10:51pm, 28 Dec 2020
5,515 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
About a year ago, my optician advised me to get varifocal glasses for my office work. So I could work from the PC, paperwork and distance simultaneously. However, as nearly all my office work is now paperless and I am working on a laptop, I have now had to buy a new pair of glasses solely for that purpose.
Dec 2020
7:47am, 29 Dec 2020
22,740 posts
  •  
Dave A
I’ve been WFH since August. Going in once a week to check post etc.
Being a Police Officer it might seem odd, but I’m not in a front line role at the moment and most of the investigations I do I can gather evidence via telephone and email, with the odd trip out for cctv.

I’m within a 30 minute drive to my nearest station if I’m needed.

At the start of lockdown they allowed us to spread out from our usual office, so we were bunched. My commute and diesel consumption went down from 45 mins to 30 each way.
I’m now on less than a tank of diesel a month.
I’m very wary of being considered to be slacking, so find it hard to switch off during office hours, despite never being more than 10 metres from the computer. If I leave the computer/phone I have my mobile on me at all times. Although I do break up jobs with house work and home gym stuff.
When things go back to ‘normal’ my office will be moving even further from where I live. But there is now a big push on flexible working arrangements and locations, so hopefully there will be good progress on that front.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
It doesn't look like we will all be returning to the office any time soon.

I've done 4...