Working From Home

1 lurker | 30 watchers
Dec 2020
3:10pm, 27 Dec 2020
21,734 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
It doesn't look like we will all be returning to the office any time soon.

I've done 40 weeks now and what have I learnt.

1) very conscious of being AWOL so I miss breaks.

2) if busy (covering) I will miss most or all of my lunch
3) I'd husband is at home it makes me worse! I fear he will also think I'm slacking!

So WFH I've worked more.

In 2021 thus will
Dec 2020
3:11pm, 27 Dec 2020
21,735 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Bugger pressed enter!

In 2021 this must end

I must take my 2 breaks plus lunch.

I must move and not get fixed in desk slouch.

So what's your best tips for not becoming a slave to work when WFH?
Dec 2020
3:15pm, 27 Dec 2020
47,895 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I've been WFH a similar time. It's gone alright but I would actually quite like to get back to the office at least some of the week, I guess later in 2021.

I started off with my work computer sat on the same desk as my home PC. I was tripping over myself. So I've moved them to separate desks, opposite each other. I have to make a conscious effort to go from one to the other. My employer have been very good about saying 'do not book meetings between 12:30 and 2pm'. Not that everyone pays attention to that.
Dec 2020
3:17pm, 27 Dec 2020
10,965 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I work in an office at the end of the garden. When I come in for a coffee or a wee then I also do some press-ups, pull-ups and squats whilst the kettle is boiling. I also try and get out for a walk/ cycle/ run at lunch. Don’t feel guilty about the time taken as there is no commute so you are working more anyway.
Dec 2020
3:18pm, 27 Dec 2020
10,966 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Re people booking meetings over lunch time, it happens all the time here. I put my excercise in my diary(marked as private) so the time is blocked out. Then if people schedule a meeting I tell them I am doubled booked.
Dec 2020
3:32pm, 27 Dec 2020
24 posts
  •  
folkieboater
I’ve not worked since 13th March. The events and exhibition industry is going to be one of the last to come back. I’m lucky to be furloughed - lots of my colleagues have had nothing. Those who didn’t grab a temporary job right at the beginning are finding there’s hundreds of people fighting for each one now.

I’m fed up with reading now how people still on furlough are lazy scroungers. It’s not my choice to not work. Every time shows get geared up to start another lockdown comes in.
I never thought I’d miss jumping on the 4.30 train to London and running for the last one 😳
Dec 2020
4:01pm, 27 Dec 2020
3,941 posts
  •  
um 🎄
EP - although I'm not working now (ret'd in 2017), I was either WFH or travelling WW from mid 1990s. And for a time the company (international US computer co) favoured home working because it reduced office costs and(probably) because people worked longer & found it easier to manage time differences.

I found it good to work with a small team, easier when I was leading one, because you could then (as you would in an office) let them know when you will be out for 10 mins or 2 hours via chat (or similar).
Also don't be afraid to flag yourself as busy/no interrupts, or just 'out, back at xx'.
A good set up (separate room, desk etc) is essential, as is family respecting the 'office' area.

I am worried about McG, 'spinning around' all day long between personal & work pc. I tended to use the work one for everything, with the reason (if ever needed) that I typically was travelling for work 30-50% of the time, and I wasn't carrying 2 laptops around. It did mean that I had to apply the same ethics to what I wrote, watched, webbed, searched for as for any work activity though. Although when I saw IT reports of 'external usage' and 'most common web pages' I was way down the list. Seems some people lived on their work pc and certain sites, not work related.
Dec 2020
4:06pm, 27 Dec 2020
7,166 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Sorry folkieboater, not sure why people have to be so judgemental :-(
I've worked from home for over 5 years now, but I used to get out at least once a week. There's obviously at lot more online meetings nowadays than a year ago.

Agree with the suggestions above. It's also to remember how often people within offices stop work to chat to colleagues about non work stuff - be it at their desks or in (eg) the kitchen. Unless in a very high pressure environment people in an office are not fully focused on work 100% of the time. I'd say concentrate on getting the work done rather monitoring how long you are sitting at your desk, if you can (I do understand that every job is different).
Dec 2020
4:46pm, 27 Dec 2020
25 posts
  •  
folkieboater
TeeBee these people forget I have plenty of time to “discuss” with them 🤣 I’m thick skinned and give as good as I get. The same comments to someone already struggling mentally could be devastating.

Luckily me and the old man work together in our own business, so are there for each other. Unfortunately that means we’ve lost 40% of our household income and only had one grant in the beginning to pay the business rent and bills.
Dec 2020
9:07am, 28 Dec 2020
21,739 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I’m going to set up meetings for breaks and lunch and trial that

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
It doesn't look like we will all be returning to the office any time soon.

I've done 4...