What were you doing when the alarm went off?

8 watchers
um
Apr 2023
3:41pm, 24 Apr 2023
7,325 posts
  •  
um
Our phone use at home uses Vodafone's Wifi call, since no local coverage. We got the warning on 2 iphones.

Shame it was just a buzz. A Space Family Robinson robot "WARNING" would have been better.

I'm not sure if it was an experiment, was it ponly testing the capability to send something? Or is there any formal capture of those who missed it?
Apr 2023
4:15pm, 24 Apr 2023
3,187 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Well obviously there's not room on the shelters for everyone. So if you didn't get it you're toast....
Apr 2023
4:16pm, 24 Apr 2023
407 posts
  •  
George Smiley
theguardian.com
This may give some answers why not everyone got it
Apr 2023
4:27pm, 24 Apr 2023
20,944 posts
  •  
larkim
I got the alert 7 times yesterday, from 14:49 to about 15:10. Then again twice this morning at about 7:30 on the way to work, separated by about 10 minutes. And those times it read out the alert to me from my phone speaker, rather than just displaying the message.

I must be really worth saving ;-)
Apr 2023
4:32pm, 24 Apr 2023
9,727 posts
  •  
GordonG
All of us who didn't get an alarm are possibly being unkind to the little old lady who had to dial everyone's phone number individually before sending the alert out 🤣
Apr 2023
4:59pm, 24 Apr 2023
408 posts
  •  
George Smiley
They had to find something for Liz to do to keep her out of mischief
Apr 2023
9:57am, 25 Apr 2023
1,372 posts
  •  
ptr_rnr
We get these quite often in Germany. I had no idea what was going on the first time I saw it. It was only when other mobiles around the office all started going off at the same time that I realised it wasn't just me doing something wrong.
Apr 2023
10:08am, 25 Apr 2023
1,904 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
I was at work. Chatting to another ambulance crew outside their truck. My phone was in our truck parked about 5m away. I heard the alarm on one of the other crew's phones and remarked how quiet and inoffensive it was. His crewmate's didn't go off.
Despite being parked nearby with the cab door open, I didn't hear my phone. My crewmate heard it and said it was nothing much. Hers didn't work.

Interestingly, the message did not come through to my watch. I have a Garmin and it's set to display all texts, emails and WhatsApp messages but not pointless stuff like update messages or notifications from other apps. Generally if my phone makes a noise/vibrates I look at my watch to see if it's anything worth bothering with. In a real emergency this would not have prompted me to bother!
Apr 2023
1:28pm, 25 Apr 2023
9,617 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I was streaming a live football match from Bristol. Due to the delay I heard all the phones in the stadium alerting about thirty seconds after mine!
Apr 2023
8:58pm, 26 Apr 2023
79,804 posts
  •  
Gobi
I was driving , it went off around 1730

About This Thread

Maintained by stilldreaming
I was trying to hold a 'plank' and I nearly jumped out of my skin! That's what I'm blaming on only being able to last 22 seconds anyway 🤔😂😂