What were you doing when the alarm went off?

2 lurkers | 8 watchers
Apr 2023
7:08pm, 23 Apr 2023
2,173 posts
  •  
RooA
I assume a real alert would come with some instructions? Other than "now is your opportunity to start looting, may the odds be ever in your favour".
Apr 2023
7:14pm, 23 Apr 2023
4,817 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
It wasn’t as loud as I expected but my phone made a new noise. I had forgotten about it but it didn’t make me jump. I was catching up on some work, sadly!
Apr 2023
9:59pm, 23 Apr 2023
1,577 posts
  •  
BrianJ
I was at the unofficial marathon fetchpoint and nothing happened, but my clubmates phone went off, so seems a bit hit and miss.
Apr 2023
10:04pm, 23 Apr 2023
27,321 posts
  •  
Dave.O
staring at my phone thinking 'is that it'
Apr 2023
9:01am, 24 Apr 2023
376 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
No 4G signal here and I use phone over wifi, so no alarm for me.
I'm surprised they didn't use wifi as well to get everyone living in remote areas, or post something on various social media channels to catch people who might have missed it at the time.
Apr 2023
9:16am, 24 Apr 2023
92 posts
  •  
EatSleepRunRePete
Tucking into a Sunday roast in the local Irish bar ... cue everyone reaching into the pockets with eyes rolling ... except for the old duffers who just continued quaffing their Guinness because they don't own a mobile phone ;)
Apr 2023
9:59am, 24 Apr 2023
49,696 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Still waiting to receive it ...
Apr 2023
10:04am, 24 Apr 2023
22,537 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Running. And listening to a podcast. Earbuds in.

So I got a loud alarm in my ears, and then a loud robot voice with a North American accent. It was rather louder than I liked, so I took my earbuds out, to find the same voice broadcasting from my phone speaker, which was located in the back pockets of my shorts.

So, on this occasion, I actually was broadcasting an emergency alert from my arse.

Of course, found out later that I ws probably one of a handful of people who got the full emergency alert. Most people I know didn't get the voice alert. Now, I don't know if that was a network or a phone thing. Anyone else get the voice?
Apr 2023
10:46am, 24 Apr 2023
42,322 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Nope

PSV I don't get 4g don't even get 3g indoors so rely on WiFi to do stuff
Apr 2023
10:51am, 24 Apr 2023
18,722 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
No 4G signal here and I use phone over wifi, so no alarm for me. I'm surprised they didn't use wifi as well to get everyone living in remote areas
That would not really be possible I guess. Real alarms are typically sent to all phones connected to a specific network base station, so can be quite localised warnings for floods or whatever.

Amusing that with months of preparation, they still managed to get the Welsh language version wrong.

About This Thread

Maintained by stilldreaming
I was trying to hold a 'plank' and I nearly jumped out of my skin! That's what I'm blaming on only being able to last 22 seconds anyway 🤔😂😂