Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
11 Aug
10:00am, 11 Aug 2024
3,495 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - Rose had a tough race, she did well to finish.

Ian - brilliant exciting finish, Hassan is amazing. She would do well at Comrades 😉

I was hoping Calli would do better, but she'd only ran one marathon before and that was in November so even wit warm weather training it would have been a tough ask.

Clara Evans did well.

Re Comrades training, back to back long training runs can be hard, you could do 2 marathons in 2 days, or even over 3 days. All good endurance training from running on tired(ish) legs.
11 Aug
11:21am, 11 Aug 2024
3,496 posts
  •  
Shades
I went for my little walk this morning. Felt good to be out but my legs felt like they belonged to someone else. I think it might be a while before I'm back in full training.

Meanwhile I'm checking the IOM results. My friend is safely round the first half of the marathon.

In the half marathon 2 local runners finished in 1:07, one is a junior. That's fast for that course, they were 10 minutes ahead of the next finisher. It's not a tough course, just not pancake flat. I have done a marathon PB there.
11 Aug
1:05pm, 11 Aug 2024
248 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I think the most I have planned is 45 over 1 weekend,most I've ever done previously is 30,apart from a race, I think so a big jump.
14 done today around the park,felt reasonable,seem to be over whatever bug I had at the start of the week.
Just 34 for the week,my lowest for a while,hopefully gives me a rest so can go again.
11 Aug
1:17pm, 11 Aug 2024
249 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-re the 5m hilly lap,what type of elevation would you think for that?
11 Aug
1:26pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,498 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good you're feeling better.

Re a hilly lap, perhaps averaging 60-80 feet a mile. Preferably with at least one long uphill and one long downhill as it's the downhills that you want to build up the quads. If you can find a suitable loop will be useful for the odd tempo run too.
11 Aug
1:33pm, 11 Aug 2024
250 posts
  •  
Ian5
I've found this not too far away.It works out at 4.8m and average 75ft/mile
Might scope it out tomorrow as not its all road or some trail.Majority looks like road.
11 Aug
1:34pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,499 posts
  •  
Shades
That looks ideal, hope it's suitable when you try it out.
11 Aug
1:39pm, 11 Aug 2024
251 posts
  •  
Ian5
If not there's a 2m version that has 180ft that is definitely all road,but that will be tougher as no real rest.
11 Aug
2:25pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,500 posts
  •  
Shades
The one that's partially trail might not be so useful in the winter as I presume no lighting. It'll be OK for your daylight runs.

90ft per mile on the shorter route of continuous looping might be challenging 😳
11 Aug
2:49pm, 11 Aug 2024
252 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Not sure if you've seen,but Canova is currently putting Cairess's training up on LRC,he's up to the start of June at the minute.
Shades-I'm thinking that loop may be a good one to practise walk breaks,so 1 loop walk up and run down then 1 loop run up and run down.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.