Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

4 lurkers | 59 watchers
Nov 2023
9:39am, 10 Nov 2023
10,104 posts
  •  
GordonG
Why there are such things as mosquito-proof trousers, and the implication that if a mosquito encounters ordinary trousers, it will just feed through them.

I have no idea, but might it be a design that stops mosquitos going up the trouser leg?
Nov 2023
9:40am, 10 Nov 2023
3,279 posts
  •  
cackleberry
The thing I don't understand is the hype around The Beattles.
Nov 2023
10:27am, 10 Nov 2023
22,776 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I had no idea that mosquitoes can bite through clothing! My naturally repellent personality has always served me well as regards mosquitoes.
Nov 2023
10:38am, 10 Nov 2023
3,280 posts
  •  
cackleberry
Why there are such things as mosquito-proof trousers, and the implication that if a mosquito encounters ordinary trousers, it will just feed through them. I have no idea, but might it be a design that stops mosquitos going up the trouser leg?

Do they come with rubber bands?
Nov 2023
10:45am, 10 Nov 2023
35,904 posts
  •  
Ness
I seem to be a bit of a mosquito magnet. I get bit a lot!

When I did my placement Bristol University's Tsetse Research laboratory, I was asked to work on a project researching the life cycle of triatomine bugs. I was told they would only bite soft areas, like round the mouth. I once dropped one on the lab floor and didn't realise it. It crawled up my leg and got a good feed on my ankle before I realised where it had gone!
Nov 2023
11:39am, 10 Nov 2023
9,929 posts
  •  
minardi
I'm also a mozzie magnet. I currently bear the evidence of 3 separate bites below my left knee all within one inch of each other so probably the same bastard having a pig out and I was wearing running capris at the time which finish below the line of bites so it either flew up there or bit through the fabric. Bastards. I get through a lot of Afterbite - especially this year for some reason. Bastards.
Nov 2023
12:49pm, 10 Nov 2023
149 posts
  •  
ChickenRunr
Scottish midgies, horseflies and mozzies go for me in droves. Made my life a nightmare on the WHW a few years back. Bought a bugnet hood so I didn't ingest too many while running.
Nov 2023
4:55pm, 10 Nov 2023
3,602 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I had no idea that mosquitoes can bite through clothing! ...
on a mosquito scale, the cloth of ordinary trousers must be like a Marilyn Monroe-style grid. Or it's like using a urinal with one of those plastic grid inserts to stop splashback. Aiming straight through a hole is a piece of piss.
Nov 2023
2:18pm, 13 Nov 2023
2,842 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
If "you're" means "you are" then why "free when you're" is no use as a complete sentence.
Nov 2023
7:04pm, 13 Nov 2023
16,745 posts
  •  
Badger
[Unwritten rule. Shhh before the grammar police haul you off to the pedants' thread.
Thinking about it, it's never used unless the complement is written out.
"I'm ready if you're ready" is allowed, "I'm ready if you're" isn't. Languages for you.]

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?