Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

2 lurkers | 59 watchers
May 2023
12:22pm, 9 May 2023
3,071 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I don't understand why everyone is acusing the supermarkets of keeping the prices high and over charging consumers.
When I go to the market for my fruit and veg it is often DOUBLE the price of the supermarket.
it always used to be the other way around?
May 2023
1:37pm, 9 May 2023
1,176 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
cackleberry [Probably because the market sellers are paying a fair price for their goods? When supermarkets offer BOGOF goods, it's usually the supplier (farmer) that takes the hit, not the supermarkets].
May 2023
2:00pm, 9 May 2023
3,073 posts
  •  
cackleberry
cackleberry [Probably because the market sellers are paying a fair price for their goods? When supermarkets offer BOGOF goods, it's usually the supplier (farmer) that takes the hit, not the supermarkets].

Fair enough. But we the consumer are still getting a better deal than if we go to the market stall.
May 2023
2:49pm, 9 May 2023
386 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
Why farmers are constantly saying they don't make any money and yet farms are so expensive to buy.
May 2023
2:54pm, 9 May 2023
4,332 posts
  •  
phal
Why farmers are constantly saying they don't make any money and yet farms are so expensive to buy.

Aren’t most farmers Tennant farmers so they don’t actually own their farm…..
May 2023
3:54pm, 9 May 2023
1,178 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Pale Skinny Vegan [I think a lot of farms are owned by companies/pension funds etc as a tax dodge (rollover relief) which pushes up land prices. There aren't many 'real' farmers making much money at the moment, due to cost of inputs (Ukraine effect etc) and loss of subsidies from EU. I do wonder how much land is not farmer owned (eg owned by the Crown, Church of England etc ... feel I need to do some research!].
May 2023
4:49pm, 9 May 2023
3,074 posts
  •  
cackleberry
My poor farmer friend rolls around in a top spec 4x4 Jaguar, goes skiing twice a year, has just bought an in-house sauna for two grand and has booked a three week trip to Canada and Alaska (albeit for a family wedding) that SO FAR has cost £10,000...

When I talk about my days of existing on beans on toast I don't think she really understands.

Sorry, wandering off topic... should be on the TYWTSBC thread...
May 2023
1:30pm, 11 May 2023
1,179 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
Autonomous buses ... but they have a driver for 10% of the route? Why not let the driver drive them all the time then? 🤔
May 2023
3:25pm, 11 May 2023
12,495 posts
  •  
Dave W
Cheaper?
May 2023
4:27pm, 11 May 2023
388 posts
  •  
Pale Skinny Vegan
Why they can't edit out the news on BBC Sounds.
I listen to previous episodes of regional folk music programmes for the music. I have no interest in national or local news from Lincolnshire or Scotland from four weeks ago.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?