The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
24 Jul
10:02am, 24 Jul 2024
37,231 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
NZD I would say similar I will let you know when I try the Paris Sky on a short run
J2R
24 Jul
11:09am, 24 Jul 2024
5,536 posts
  •  
J2R
I'd love to try the Superblasts myself, because people I know who have them all rave about them and I think they may be the perfect shoes to do hard training in to minimise leg damage. I wonder how different they really are in this respect from my Saucony Endorphin Speeds, though, which are the shoes I use for this purpose at present. (I also have a pair of Saucony Endorphin Shifts which don't really have a niche and which I just use when my shoe choice is unimportant).
SPR
24 Jul
11:52am, 24 Jul 2024
45,404 posts
  •  
SPR
Superblast is supposed to be a long run shoe although some people find it works for daily training from the reviews I've seen; the Novablast is the daily shoe and the Endorphin Speed equivalent I guess. I'd be amazed if the racing shoes weren't significantly faster and things like the Magicspeed should be better for faster training on track.
rhb
24 Jul
12:26pm, 24 Jul 2024
2,315 posts
  •  
rhb
I got me some Novablast for this mara block. Idea being use them for anything that is (mostly) steady miles. Magic Speed for shorter sharper stuff and the long runs with more mp stuff in them. Meta Speed to race in.

Might be flawed logic, so willing to be corrected.
rhb
24 Jul
12:27pm, 24 Jul 2024
2,316 posts
  •  
rhb
^ My gt2000 feel lifeless so hope the Novas are an improvement.
J2R
24 Jul
12:28pm, 24 Jul 2024
5,537 posts
  •  
J2R
I thought the Superblast was a kind of replacement for the Novablast? Maybe not how ASICS intended, but how people were using it. Yes, the racing shoes will be faster but that's not an issue for me, I'm not interested in maximising my speed while training, only while racing.
24 Jul
12:30pm, 24 Jul 2024
3,786 posts
  •  
Big_G
rhb, it’s funny as I used to run in GT2000s a lot and I think I even raced in them back in the day. I had a pair with hardly any miles in but I recycled them as they just felt so clunky in comparison to other, newer, shoes I used - primarily New Balance 1080 at the time.
SPR
24 Jul
12:40pm, 24 Jul 2024
45,411 posts
  •  
SPR
@J2R post was in response to the general conversation but speed part wasn't to you. Initial question from @NZD was wondering about the Superblast Vs the Sky Paris in terms of speed.

From ASICS they definitely aren't a replacement. The Superblast is a lot of shoe even for those used to 40mm, but if you're fine with that maybe they can work as a daily shoe.
J2R
24 Jul
2:04pm, 24 Jul 2024
5,539 posts
  •  
J2R
SPR, I'm a rather odd mix. I do a lot of my training in very minimal shoes without any cushioning or support, mainly zero drop. But then I race now in Asics Metaspeed Sky Paris, with deep, thick foam soles.

What I meant by Superblast replacing Novablast is that I know runners who are now using it instead, including a guy who manages a running shoe store. Obviously Asics would like to keep them as separate lines.
SPR
24 Jul
2:27pm, 24 Jul 2024
45,412 posts
  •  
SPR
@J2R I think you may end up the norm for anyone that wants to train minimal, assuming minimal training shoes continue to exist/ make a comeback. It will be interesting to see if the super trainer market becomes the standard going forward as the racers have.

TBF to ASICS their page on the website does suggest it's an alternative so what I've picked up is more hearsay I guess unless that page has changed at some point.

Page on the website suggests that Superblast is lighter but Novablast is more durable (it's obviously way cheaper as well which they don't mention, lol). I think the weight is about the same now with the SB2 Vs NB?

asics.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org