The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
20 Jul
6:01pm, 20 Jul 2024
69,982 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wore Alphaflys a few days ago for a race that was described as having a hill that included a short section of loose gravel. I'm sure it would have felt like nothing in Nike Pegasus or something like that, but in descent it was like skidding down scree in the supershoes. Not my wisest ever decision. But I wasn't the only one.
J2R
21 Jul
5:41pm, 21 Jul 2024
5,526 posts
  •  
J2R
Rubbish 5K race today, felt unwell and nearly didn't start, but absolutely loved the Asics Metaspeed Sky Paris, they saved the day for me. Feel softer, more propulsive and more comfortable than my first generation Sky (with nearly 400 miles on the clock). Hope to give them a better outing in a 5 miler Friday evening.
SPR
21 Jul
8:02pm, 21 Jul 2024
45,345 posts
  •  
SPR
Hopefully the next race is better J2R.

The New Balance SC Pacer V2 is looking very interesting to me as something in the Takumi Sen 9 style but not as harsh in theory and that could race any road distance (seen. Cushion sounds good. I've enjoyed the Takumi Sen 9 for faster runs it's definitely not perfect from a comfort perspective. May be useful for HM as well if the Streakfly 2 isn't when it comes out.

The Rebel v4 looks interesting as well, I've still got one brand new pair of Rivera 2 before I need a new daily shoe though so maybe another 6 months to year before I need to look for something.
SPR
22 Jul
5:42pm, 22 Jul 2024
45,374 posts
  •  
SPR
I note for anyone interested in trying ASICS that you can get a 90 day trial on purchases if you sign up for free on their website. Not something I'm planning to use it ATM but in case anyone is interested in trying their shoes as their supershoes range has a good rep (Sky Paris, Edge Paris, Novablast 4, Superblast 2).
J2R
22 Jul
5:50pm, 22 Jul 2024
5,530 posts
  •  
J2R
Interesting, wish I'd known that! I suppose that would mean paying full price for the shoes, though? I got mine with 10% off because of a club discount at sportsshoes.com.
SPR
22 Jul
5:55pm, 22 Jul 2024
45,375 posts
  •  
SPR
At the prices they are, 10% is decent and ASICS don't seem to discount at all whereas other retailers might knock a bit of RRP from time to time. Could be useful for a side by side test of Edge and Sky though. Most reviewers seem to prefer the Sky although there's a suggestion the Edge may work well at shorter distances.
22 Jul
6:43pm, 22 Jul 2024
70,016 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Hoka do something similar. I had a look but wasn't going to shell out full price for a brand of shoes I don't normally wear and risk discovering that I liked them.
22 Jul
10:20pm, 22 Jul 2024
37,226 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I managed to get hold of some Metaspeed Sky Paris for £160 new superb
J2R
23 Jul
10:40am, 23 Jul 2024
5,531 posts
  •  
J2R