larkim
Ooops, bad formatting!
J2R
17 Jul
4:42pm, 17 Jul 2024
5,497 posts
  •  
J2R
Yes, @larkim , although I'm mainly motivated by trying to get a certain time, I do often end up winning my age category in races, so it's something I keep an eye on as well. If my competitors all had supershoes and I didn't, I imagine the age category wins would dry up.
jda
17 Jul
6:16pm, 17 Jul 2024
17,491 posts
  •  
jda
That's also true for me to some extent, though typically a lower class of race than J2R is placing in :-)

Recently I was 9th overall, but only 3rd MV55! Which may be a record for worst vet-to-overall result. As a consolation, I did beat all the MV40 and MV45s....
J2R
17 Jul
7:01pm, 17 Jul 2024
5,498 posts
  •  
J2R
Ha, yes, you do get those races from time to time, jda! A few years ago, I knocked over a minute off my then half marathon PB, running 80:12, but was only 4th MV55 - it just happened that the local race was also the national masters HM race that year and some really fast guys from out of town turned up.
J2R
17 Jul
7:03pm, 17 Jul 2024
5,499 posts
  •  
J2R
First little test of the Asics Metaspeed Sky Paris confirms what the reviews suggest, they feel rather softer and bouncier than the 1st generation Metaspeed Sky I have. Incredibly light, as mentioned, too. My legs were too tired to test them properly, but I'm confident they'll do the job for me in Sunday's 5K.
17 Jul
8:32pm, 17 Jul 2024
37,220 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
How much better than first generation? Are these the 2nd or 3rd
J2R
17 Jul
8:37pm, 17 Jul 2024
5,500 posts
  •  
J2R
HOD, they're the Asics Metaspeed Sky Paris, the latest incarnation of the Metaspeed Sky, of which I have a first version. There was, I think, a v2 and a Sky+ before this one. Can't say how they compare yet until I've tried racing with them on Sunday, but they do feel a bit different, from the very limited test I did. I have high hopes of them, though.
18 Jul
10:38am, 18 Jul 2024
37,221 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I’ve done research have Metaspeed Sky and Edge both good (and Superblast)
J2R
18 Jul
11:26am, 18 Jul 2024
5,503 posts
  •  
J2R
HOD, what are the differences between the Sky and the Edge as far as your actual experience is concerned? (As opposed to Asics marketing).
SPR
18 Jul
12:26pm, 18 Jul 2024
45,265 posts
  •  
SPR
The video I posted last week got into the physical differences but I guess how that feels will differ for runners so interesting to hear how someone with both gets on with them. Think there's a few here that get on with AFs and VFs and I certainly remember people having choices to make for race day.

Re times being changed due to shoes, I had my eye on the old champs start HM of sub 75 as something that might be possible (5k equivalent 16:12 according to McMillan). 72:30 (5k equivalent 15:40) feels a long way away and not something that I think supershoes would sort.

The other thing for me is relays, sure the shoes give people advantages there but I've not seen it as so big that I have to go for a supershoe no matter what. I think winning times and times to qualify for the National relays have got faster though.

Track I didn't see an obvious change there either with superspikes as I'd have probably jumped on board earlier if I had (I imagine data would probably show there was). I'd struggle to go back to standard spikes now regardless speed benefit though even after just one season (eg not sure I'd do the thing where I ran in standard spikes in a 5000 in March even though I owned DF1s at the time). Even though I'd always track trained in minimal flats, I never trained in spikes but since my training shoes were killed, I've trained more in spikes and also I put them on for the faster/ key sessions now as they are great from a cushioning perspective now (if my feelings about the changes on the DF2 are correct, they are an even better spike for training due to the stability improvements). Of course, if I thought standard spikes were faster I'd deal with the recovery aspects as I used to in the past.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org