Hills of Death (HOD)
I this bloke just needs a slap
J2R
15 Jul
5:05pm, 15 Jul 2024
5,466 posts
  •  
J2R
Thanks for the link, SPR. Yes, interesting. I think I'm probably a rather different runner from the reviewer (for one thing, I'm very much not a heel striker), but it does sound as if the shoe will work well for me.
J2R
16 Jul
1:45pm, 16 Jul 2024
5,472 posts
  •  
J2R
My Sky Paris shoes have turned up but sadly I think they may be a half size too large (even though I ordered the same size as my v1 Sky), so I've ordered another pair a half size down and will return whichever fits worse. The only reason for this post is to say how ridiculously light these shoes are. Quite incredible. I don't think I have any shoes that are lighter, even among my most minimal footwear. I couldn't believe it when the postman handed me the package.

With any luck the smaller pair will turn up in the next day or two and I'll have them ready for a 5K race at the weekend, where I'll be hoping to improve on my 18:30 from a couple of weeks ago, wind permitting (it's at a former RAF base and is very exposed, so if it's at all windy on the day all bets are off). I ran 17:31 in my then new Metaspeed Sky shoes 2 years ago but my heart attack last year has slowed me down a little.
SPR
16 Jul
2:09pm, 16 Jul 2024
45,238 posts
  •  
SPR
I think I read somewhere they are the lightest properly available supershoes (Saucony Sinister and Streakfly are lighter but super properties debatable, and the Evo 1 isn't mass produced and is super expensive).

The On Cloud ones coming soon may rival them with their new upper process that means it's super light (LightSpray) but will be more expensive.
J2R
16 Jul
2:25pm, 16 Jul 2024
5,474 posts
  •  
J2R
188g in a UK size 9, which is pretty light. I must say lightness on the foot is something I really value. A few years ago I had a pair of 1st generation Salming Race shoes, not far from racing flats, which I got a bunch of PBs in, and they were around this sort of weight. I would still use them but the soles have worn slick, after not that many races, meaning I lose traction on most surfaces. Shame. (The Salming Speeds I got at the same time are still going strong, so I don't know what the difference in outsole material was).
SPR
16 Jul
2:52pm, 16 Jul 2024
45,239 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't think I should have to race in shoes above 200g 🤣. It's probable that of the supershoes, only the Evo 1 will satisfy that requirement given I'm size 12 or bigger depending on the brand. Takumi Sen 9 is about 240g for me.
16 Jul
8:55pm, 16 Jul 2024
324 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
I got my hands on a pair of Evo 1 through a Dutch website a few weeks ago.
I'm used to light shoes - I bought about every Vaporfly iteration. But the Evo 1 is next level, weighing a measly 140g for a UK size 9.5.
I want to wear them for the Amsterdam marathon in October. I'm just not sure if they are durable enough to run a half marathon in September as well.
J2R
17 Jul
9:30am, 17 Jul 2024
5,484 posts
  •  
J2R
Charlesvdw, have you calculated a 'price per step' for these shoes yet? Shockingly expensive, hope they're worth it!
SPR
17 Jul
9:46am, 17 Jul 2024
45,244 posts
  •  
SPR
There's no way you should be risking them for a HM before the Marathon.

It's quite funny to have a shoe that in theory you can't really run in much to get used to it. Unless it is proven to last longer, it's a non-starter for the general public really. It seems the weight saving has come at the expense of durability (understatement based on what they say about durability).
J2R
17 Jul
10:32am, 17 Jul 2024
5,485 posts
  •  
J2R
If a pair of shoes came out which were so fast that they would take 5% off your race time, would you buy them? I'm not sure I would, at least not until everybody else had them and I was really disadvantaging myself by not running in them. I would feel they devalued any actual running achievement - any great time I got would have a big mental asterisk next to it.

Of course, nothing has changed in this respect since the first Nike 4%, but the promise of ever greater performance at ever greater price continues.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org