The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
SPR
17 Jul
10:50am, 17 Jul 2024
45,246 posts
  •  
SPR
We already have that question answered for everyone over the last 6-8 years, lol.

If the shoe is pretty much no different from what you wear now (which is what the rules try to ensure now), I can't see any objection. The genie is out of the bottle and a rollback isn't happening.
J2R
17 Jul
10:57am, 17 Jul 2024
5,487 posts
  •  
J2R
No, SPR, I know the genie is out of the bottle. It's a while since I considered the issue and I realise I still haven't really come to terms with it yet. :)
SPR
17 Jul
11:18am, 17 Jul 2024
45,247 posts
  •  
SPR
Oh I still wish they were banned (eg no 40mm race shoes) and TBF my phrasing is based on a view others might see differently. I can't come up with a reasonable way to ban a 20mm shoes that had all the benefits of a Vaporfly. Despite that, this is my first year in superspikes.
17 Jul
11:24am, 17 Jul 2024
69,923 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Another 5% relative to current supershoes? I think only if I was good enough for a 5% improvement in my marathon time to generate age group prizes at high profile races. As it is, I'd need a 30-40% improvement to even come close.

If the GFA time for my age tightened up so much that I'd need another 5% to have any chance of hitting it even with optimal training and a good run on the day, I'd give it serious consideration.
SPR
17 Jul
11:37am, 17 Jul 2024
45,248 posts
  •  
SPR
9% would get me close to sub 15 5000 if it translated to a pure improvement. I think if I was guaranteed that in a shoe I'd likely get them, of course there's no guarantee. If everyone else got that improvement I'd just stay the same but of course you'd want to stay the same in those circumstances.

It will be interesting to see if I see a decent improvement in the Streakfly 2 when that comes out.
SPR
17 Jul
11:41am, 17 Jul 2024
45,249 posts
  •  
SPR
There's a piece of analysis to be done on track Vs road times for 5000 Vs 5k as I wonder how close they are or if road is even faster these days. I've seen the odd individual where that's true (could be because they aren't used to track running) but would be interesting to see a full analysis people that do both from PO10 data.
17 Jul
11:46am, 17 Jul 2024
25,168 posts
  •  
larkim
J2R wrote:If a pair of shoes came out which were so fast that they would take 5% off your race time, would you buy them? I'm not sure I would, at least not until everybody else had them and I was really disadvantaging myself by not running in them. I would feel they devalued any actual running achievement - any great time I got would have a big mental asterisk next to it. Of course, nothing has changed in this respect since the first Nike 4%, but the promise of ever greater performance at ever greater price continues.

I'm still in the "no" camp, but have set my threshold as being "when I can see that age is the factor slowing me down, I will be prepared to buy whatever shoes make me fast". I might still be misguided in terms of my capability, but I don't think there are any / many of my PBs which I couldn't still beat if I had perfect preparation, perfect race day conditions and perfect execution, all within the context of the limits on training budget etc that I apply (i.e. I could probably ramp up training volume by 20 miles per week without fear of injury, but I'd have to give up things in my personal life to accommodate those extra miles which I'm not prepared to do).

The lure of specific times just through the use of the shoes still turns me off; I think it's mainly a function of when I got into running, and if I look back perhaps there was a window for me to buy into the shoes when they very first came out as I was still on a significant upward curve in terms of setting PBs. If I was starting out now, I would 100% buy them.
J2R
17 Jul
1:14pm, 17 Jul 2024
5,491 posts
  •  
J2R
I only made the move myself after I'd stood at the start line of a number of races and seen everyone else in the Nikes and accepted that my placing would continue to go down until I joined the club.

Curiously, despite just having bought the latest super-duper supershoes, I'm actually not really trying to gain any more performance benefit, I'm just trying to get back to where I was a couple of years ago, with the hope that the new shoes will be more comfortable for me than the old ones have been.
jda
17 Jul
4:30pm, 17 Jul 2024
17,490 posts
  •  
jda
A shade over one more percentage point would have got me sub-2:45 and a champs start at London marathon, yes I'd probably have paid for that, but of course they also shifted the goalposts (quite reasonably) as a result anyway. My 2:47 was already VF-assisted.
17 Jul
4:39pm, 17 Jul 2024
25,182 posts
  •  
larkim
<q uid="71977">I only made the move myself after I'd stood at the start line of a number of races and seen everyone else in the Nikes and accepted that my placing would continue to go down until I joined the club./q>
I'm only rarely motivated by place, so that's not really presented an issue for me just yet. If I was at a sharper end of the placings for vet category prizes or league positions, I can see how that would feel like levelling the playing field.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org