The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
18 Jul
5:14pm, 18 Jul 2024
37,222 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I feel the Sky is more aggressive and good for short distance and the racing guys the edge feels more efficient I’ll have to test it on long route
18 Jul
5:15pm, 18 Jul 2024
37,223 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Sky has better bounce
J2R
18 Jul
5:30pm, 18 Jul 2024
5,509 posts
  •  
J2R
I was reassured in my choice by the observation by more than one interviewer that in the 'Paris' incarnation, the differences between the Sky and Edge models were subtle, so I was unlikely to end up with completely the wrong shoes. I've got on pretty well with my Sky v1 model, so I was happy to stay with Sky for the Paris version.
20 Jul
2:09pm, 20 Jul 2024
325 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
@J2R @SPR

I know the Evo 1 are not very durable - but so am I at age 50.
I think I may have one or two years to set a new marathon PB and if the shoes give me 2 minutes I'll gladly take that.
Although it's not that likely that they are worth 2 minutes compared to the Vaporfly 3.

The shoes are legal so it's not cheating imho.
Just trying to optimise everything like training, taper, carb loading, race fueling and of course shoes.
I will take your advice and not run a HM.
SPR
20 Jul
2:18pm, 20 Jul 2024
45,298 posts
  •  
SPR
@Charlesvdw Have you tried the Alphaflys? The Adidas has the hype of weight but it's not clear that the midsole is better than the Nike. My understanding is the Evo 1 uses a Peba based lightstrike pro but that means the only way to test the them is in the Evo. My thinking is if the midsole is as good then the weight gives you an advantage but if it isn't or has a narrow band of people it works for them it's a bit more up in the air in terms of benefit over other shoes. Have you tested the Evo at all? How do you find them?
20 Jul
2:34pm, 20 Jul 2024
326 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
I haven't tested them yet, I will only do a short marathon pace run (5k) a few weeks before the Amsterdam marathon. They do feel incredibly light even compared to the Vaporfly 3. And the foam is incredibly soft.

I have had the first version of the Alphafly, they felt very chunky. I never loved them. They were quite wide and they sometimes touched my opposite ankle while running - something no other shoe ever made me do. I've sold them after 100 miles.

Apparently the Alphafly 3 is a big step-up; but still very wide at the forefoot and substantially heavier than the Vaporfly, so I will stick with the Vaporfly.
SPR
20 Jul
3:16pm, 20 Jul 2024
45,306 posts
  •  
SPR
Interesting @Charlesvdw, the Evo plate placement is similar to the VFs so maybe high plate placement doesn't suit you given it sounds like you gave the AFs a good go. Will be interested in your experience in them.

Would be nice if a more durable version of the Evo can be produced at some point.
20 Jul
4:31pm, 20 Jul 2024
1,951 posts
  •  
sLickster
Was at Lyme Park parkrun today, you know the 748th ‘hardest’ on Pof10. With a good half mile hill at the start and equal down later open, but both super technical underfoot trail with mega tree roots and branches, someone stood at the front was in a pair of Alphaflys! Not sure they stayed there for long…
20 Jul
4:39pm, 20 Jul 2024
327 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Not a super shoe but for a course like that I would use my Hoka Challenger 7.

During my La Palma vacation I used it for hiking, trail running, road running and even a track session. A truly versatile shoe.
rhb
20 Jul
5:18pm, 20 Jul 2024
2,310 posts
  •  
rhb
Think I wore x-talon at Lyme Parkrun. It's not a roadshow course at all.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org