The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
SPR
10 Sep
10:11pm, 10 Sep 2024
46,045 posts
  •  
SPR
The Streakfly 2 has dropped off the dev list so as of now should be illegal in races until something changes.
11 Sep
10:29am, 11 Sep 2024
1,789 posts
  •  
Chris
Not yet, just waiting for them to get my size in stock.

Currently trying to finish off my old vaporfly 4%. Still going strong after 750 miles and 5+ years
12 Sep
8:36am, 12 Sep 2024
37,300 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Chris do you use the 4% for all distances ?
12 Sep
10:42am, 12 Sep 2024
1,790 posts
  •  
Chris
No only for interval sessions now. I did find doing a longer run in them caused some niggles now they are on high mileage but shorter stuff is fine and actually they still seem pretty quick
SPR
12 Sep
5:26pm, 12 Sep 2024
46,094 posts
  •  
SPR
I imagine they are pretty compressed now but that's fine for quick turnover as long as you don't have impact issues.

I currently have a CAM walking boot and I wonder if a supershoe would get my other leg to the same height, lol.
12 Sep
5:46pm, 12 Sep 2024
2,395 posts
  •  
auburnette
My old vaporfly seem indestructible too, must be on 500+ miles. The foam on the sole has no damage but the tread is worn totally slick like F1 tyres :) i've relegated them to interval sessions only now. I've noticed they don't have much spring now but they still feel pleasant to run in because they're so light. I think the uppers (which are made of some sort of plasticy material that is cracking) might actually give out before the sole.
12 Sep
6:23pm, 12 Sep 2024
70,908 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My old VF4% still had lots of sproing left in them at 700+ miles, but the sole of one of them got ripped by a big thorn and once it was damaged the edges of the tear wore away leaving a big hole under the forefoot where I land.
12 Sep
7:02pm, 12 Sep 2024
370 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Vaporfly's make for good training shoes. Plus they are too expensive to discard after 100 miles.

They lose their magic "pop" after 100-150 miles but they are still light and the old Pentax foam is as good as conventional EVA foam.
12 Sep
7:03pm, 12 Sep 2024
371 posts
  •  
Charlesvdw
Pebax not Pentax.
TR
12 Sep
7:31pm, 12 Sep 2024
171 posts
  •  
TR
I have a 400m pair of 4% but I used them for a 10m session the other day and my ankle primates in them quite a lot now, so I'll bin them. I have a 250m pair of VF2 that I can relegate to train ing instead.......I only usually use them for the odd training session (Not regularly), but will give them more of a regular go as much to prolong he use as any other reason.
There is a real science of sport podcast from June this year where Geoff Burns discusses using them in training. He tests shoes for the USA team (amongst other responsibilities).

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org