The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
Jan 2022
3:18pm, 23 Jan 2022
750 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
The best quality large batch of data I like is the study of strava race times where two researchers tried to control for lots of factors and show % time improvement for lots of shoes (they had two articles published in the NYT, latter one batched Next%/VF as they could find no statistical difference...I think most athletes prefer the Next% for speed)

Large confidence intervals for most of the shoes, more data points gets you tighter window, so it was only a few shoes that weren't overlapping with plenty of other shoes in their table.

Would love to see that done again for all the new supershoes, but I suspect too few data points for non Nike models, don't think enough people have been willing to race in the rest yet.
Jan 2022
3:34pm, 23 Jan 2022
5,360 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Those brand new 4% just look lovely Velo! I’m playing out in a pair of pre-FlyKnit 4% atm and they are not nearly as nice. Love that FlyKnit upper.

Wore my next% FlyKnit today to race in. I had them made when you could still do customisation. They were a lovely ride, such a great shoe.
Jan 2022
3:58pm, 23 Jan 2022
36,178 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
My ZFF the sole tends to wear away is there another way of getting it resoled
Jan 2022
4:12pm, 23 Jan 2022
5,361 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
HoD - Have you tried a decent dollop of Shoo Goo? I treated my old ZF to a dose of that some time ago and it seems to be wearing well.

For a re-sole you could try Cheshire Shoe Repairs. I’ve just boxed up an old pair of peg turbo to send to them for repair. Can’t tell you how they’ve come out yet as the box is still on the kitchen table!
Jan 2022
5:58pm, 23 Jan 2022
56,095 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I was amused to see today that the first person ever to comment on how noisy my feet are in the 4% turned up at a race today in Next% and told me his feet are noisier than mine now.
Jan 2022
6:08pm, 23 Jan 2022
36,181 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
WW I did on my ZF3 but it does come off unless I’m doing something wrong
Jan 2022
11:03am, 24 Jan 2022
5,363 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I doubt you're doing anything wrong HoD. If you've tried then you've tried.

Will let you know when the shoes come back from the repair shop and we can see how they are.
Jan 2022
3:16pm, 24 Jan 2022
36,183 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
How much is it costing WW.

I will do it with the VF or AF. Not the ZF I’ll keep patching up with goo lol
Jan 2022
3:39pm, 24 Jan 2022
5,366 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
40 quid ish - the new soles are vibram, there's a range, they look OK....

cheshireshoe.co.uk
Jan 2022
11:33am, 26 Jan 2022
1,421 posts
  •  
Big_G
I’ve got a half marathon on 6th Feb, which starts and ends on grass, with the rest on roads. Being Feb, it could be wet, and although I think it’s only a few hundred meters of grass at each end, I don’t want to take a tumble or have to run particularly cautiously over that section.

Would people here wear VFs in this case, or go for something else?

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org