The vaporfly thread

88 watchers
SPR
Jan 2022
4:28pm, 20 Jan 2022
36,188 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't race that often (certainly not at 5000) and I'd likely go for superspikes before supershoes at this point given the road relays are the only road race I do.
SPR
Jan 2022
4:49pm, 20 Jan 2022
36,189 posts
  •  
SPR
Just had a check and the New Balance MDX still isn't available on the UK site.
Jan 2022
6:42pm, 22 Jan 2022
492 posts
  •  
Minimag
I am still doing my testing of an 'average' runner in the 3 shoes I have, the Alphafly's, the Saucony speed, and the Adizero's pro. If this is of no interest please say, I'd hate to be that boring guy that goes on and on.

I seem to be getting pb's consistantly when the conditions are similar week after week, especially in the Saucony's and the Alphafly's. tbf the Adizero's have had less of a test (and personally they feel the best to me)

It might be that I am getting better, or more used to the shoes, but my pb is better for parkruns by about a minute in just a month.

I intend to now give the Adizero's a decent test over the next couple of parkruns
SPR
Jan 2022
6:56pm, 22 Jan 2022
36,191 posts
  •  
SPR
The Adizero Pro are closer to the shoes '5/10k' that are currently being released than the supershoes.

The Alphafly should be head and shoulders above the other shoes but it's clear that there a comfort/ suitability issue with them given it hasn't been universally adopted like the Vaporfly was.
Jan 2022
7:10pm, 22 Jan 2022
493 posts
  •  
Minimag
And that is what surprises me, the Alphafly's do as advertised (4% improvement), but both the other's (well less so the Adizero's at the moment), have given me similar gains. So the Alphaflys for me at the moment arent head and shoulders above the rest (on a sample of one!)
Jan 2022
8:14pm, 22 Jan 2022
746 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
Nike supershoes don't always come out the clear winner:

outsideonline.com

I've got a few different brands, for me AF seems to work best despite being a little heavier but I've not done enough testing to be totally sure.
Jan 2022
10:25am, 23 Jan 2022
56,079 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Breaking out a new pair of 4% for a race today. The old ones have done 262 miles and the sole has suffered less than I expected. They'll be fine for another few hundred miles of training, parkruns and unimportant races.
Jan 2022
10:25am, 23 Jan 2022
56,080 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Forgot the photo.
SPR
Jan 2022
12:29pm, 23 Jan 2022
36,192 posts
  •  
SPR
MM - AFs would probably to take some getting used to as well. I guess your testing will only be applicable to you, but interesting nonetheless.

FD - I note in that article that the Nike VF4 is slightly worse (but statistically equal). It's a good one off result for the pro, although I'd expect the Next would likely be slightly better (but probably still statistically equal).

Velo - Those look to have a lot left from a wear perspective. I guess the cushioning might be losing rebound.
Jan 2022
1:46pm, 23 Jan 2022
56,083 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The only change I've noticed is that the shoes have become less unpleasant to walk in and more secure on descents as they've got older, SPR. And after an outing in the new pair I can confirm that this is entirely due to me adapting to them.

My ZFFs are now on over 1000 miles and still feel lively, though the sole is worn in places.

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org