88 watchers
Jan 2022
10:41am, 20 Jan 2022
75,603 posts
  •  
Gobi
Lol WW , you know me and my views on certain things

Blimey is all I can say !!

In actual good news, racing for Welsh Masters at XC up at Wallsend at the start of Feb. I know it's master but nice to get a Welsh vest again.
Jan 2022
10:50am, 20 Jan 2022
5,358 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
nice, congrats

Farnborough HM for me on Sunday, you've run there a few times G....
Jan 2022
10:57am, 20 Jan 2022
75,606 posts
  •  
Gobi
Yes as the 1.30 pace maker - 2017 (no chip) 18 and 20

Usually see a few old friends

Nice rolling roads with nothing serious to worry about.
SPR
Jan 2022
1:00pm, 20 Jan 2022
36,183 posts
  •  
SPR
The "super-flat" - lower stack, superfoam, full/partial plate, "ideal for 5k/10k" - Nike Streakfly, NB SC Pacer, adidas Takumi Sen 8 Looks like this is the new niche that the shoe comanies are trying to get us to spend our money on.

Yes, it seems so but given people will have both, I wonder if the other shoes will really see the light of day in races. Not convinced they'll be faster in side by side tests. More stable I guess if that's a concern though.
Jan 2022
1:22pm, 20 Jan 2022
724 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
It doesn't cost much for Nike to pump out these variations.

I would not be at all surprised if their consumer focus groups have shown quite a lot of users uneasy at how different 40mm stack looks compared to race shoes pre 2016, partly from the angle that everyone is now sort of cheating themselves and obviously can't compare their previous times but also they look like an ankle breaker if you go over in them.
Jan 2022
1:26pm, 20 Jan 2022
18,955 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I wish they made me that much faster :-(. I miss proprioception, as a long time minimal shoe runner, that's an important component of running fast for me (and still is).
SPR
Jan 2022
1:42pm, 20 Jan 2022
36,186 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm still racing in proper racing flats and spikes. Don't know if I'm missing out or not. Not really a great concern currently, may change at some point.

Right now I'm more concerned that I might not be able to get the type of shoes I want ever again.
Jan 2022
2:22pm, 20 Jan 2022
726 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
I don't think you are missing out, you're one of the few people who can still compare their current performances to your past ones to tell if you are really getting better.

If you would have averaged say £50 prize money a race and now get £0 because five people in cheat shoes now beat you, that's a different story.
SPR
Jan 2022
3:11pm, 20 Jan 2022
36,187 posts
  •  
SPR
FD - I think things like road relays selection are the only thing that would make me think I'm missing out currently (need to get 5km shape back to/ better than my best before that type of thinking though).

I think if I ever made the change, I'd like to run a bunch of PBs early in current shoes, then switch and see what happens. At least you'd have some sort of benchmark that way.
Jan 2022
4:23pm, 20 Jan 2022
728 posts
  •  
fuzzyduck79
You can always do a parkrace in each pair a week apart, if conditions are similar and you are in same shape each time

Or just assume they are worth 12-15 secs a mile which works for most (but you'd get a far smaller difference comparing VF to PegTurbo, in my view anyway)

About This Thread

Maintained by Windsor Wool
somewhere to talk about fast shoes whether you like / believe in them or not

The world has changed a lot since this thread began. Choose your weapon here:

certcheck.worldathletics.org