The New Normal - What do you see that is becoming the New Normal?

38 watchers
Aug 2020
10:39am, 11 Aug 2020
640 posts
  •  
Non-runner
WS, I remember Blair wanting to introduce ID cards as a mitigation for supporting expansion of the EU and welcoming workers from Eastern Europe but the Tories were up in arms as they were allegedly an attack on civil liberties!
theguardian.com
Aug 2020
10:48am, 11 Aug 2020
18,232 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
JR if the government wanted to track you they can do that now
Aug 2020
11:14am, 11 Aug 2020
4,343 posts
  •  
run free
WS - the unemployment numbers are part due to Covid but also a good proportion due to Brexit. A number of large companies were preparing to downsize pre-Covid and moving ops to the continent. The dilly dally of our Govt on a deal (no deal) just pushing that faster along. The BBC media on behalf of the Govt is simply hiding that information behind Covid.

A temporary new normal might see more innovators and entrepreneurs.
Aug 2020
11:18am, 11 Aug 2020
28,042 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Yes, you can pretty much track anyone if you want to, mobile phone signal, bank transactions, supermarkets have a huge amount of data about you, if you shop there and use your card/nectar etc.

I would be surprised if any organisation actually does that, but we are creatures of habit and i can be pieced together.

It's why supermarkets make huge profits, they know exactly what YOU do, the opposite of what is claimed, i.e. supermarkets make YOU do something, they don't, people are simple, very simple indeed.

Food, it'll split into two, if it hasn't already, cheap nasty stuff, imported, plus howm grown, we'll do that, no problems, and very well produced, environmentally frindly stuff that will be expensive (or at least huge profit margins), for the nice middle class people who can afford to make that sort of choice.
Aug 2020
11:20am, 11 Aug 2020
28,043 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
N-r, Nick Clegg got a mention, wowsers, what's he doing now, persuading us FB is great!
Aug 2020
11:35am, 11 Aug 2020
18,234 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
In the US there was a supermarket chain that had to amend it's marketing ... it was able to tell from your shopping habits if you were pregnant!
Aug 2020
12:31pm, 11 Aug 2020
641 posts
  •  
Non-runner
WS, lol, the irony๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Aug 2020
3:14pm, 11 Aug 2020
4,344 posts
  •  
run free
Agree about the searches - in fact that is what Credit Searches can find out a lot about what you spend on

More people growing their own. Winter veg needs to be planted now :)
Aug 2020
3:26pm, 11 Aug 2020
18,249 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
RF I grown veg but this year WFH which should have made it easier has seen most die as we keep forgetting to water! LOL
Aug 2020
3:34pm, 11 Aug 2020
4,346 posts
  •  
run free
EP Have been using my kitchen sink water (for food plants) and my shower water for my flowers. We never used to collect the water but the heat is really hard on the plants. We've been looking after our neighbour's cats and watering the plants once a day has not been enough!

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
What do you predict will be the New Normal?

What are you seeing now as the New Normal?

Govt Guidelines on rebuilding and normalising Covid by restructuring: gov.uk