The New Normal - What do you see that is becoming the New Normal?

38 watchers
Aug 2020
3:53pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,125 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
Aren’t they what we call offices?
Aug 2020
4:00pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,335 posts
  •  
run free
Yes Fizz - but this is allowing everyone an office they can walk to. The difference is that the space will most likely be hired for meetings (you wouldn't want someone in your home) and for people who are having difficulty wfh. It will be an office hub ;) My area is currently looking at transitioning areas to enable this.

Also Brexit has caused a downsizing of the large financial institutions as they relocate. So can see this being an attractive option for companies to sponsor (depending on number of employees requiring this) to see how the UK redefines itself
JR
Aug 2020
7:47pm, 9 Aug 2020
614 posts
  •  
JR
run free - As I understand it the current regs don’t allow ‘hot dealing ’ so not sure how office hubs would work. Wouldn’t they be v costly as cleaning costs would be very high?
JR
Aug 2020
7:48pm, 9 Aug 2020
615 posts
  •  
JR
Hot desking not hot dealing.
Aug 2020
8:42pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,584 posts
  •  
jennyh
Runfree - in a way I do think that would be useful (we have a very small house and limited space so working from home has been a challenge) - I do wonder how competitively such an option would be priced though, I worry it would be priced out of the reach of those who would benefit most from it.
Aug 2020
8:47pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,585 posts
  •  
jennyh
JR - I thought that hot desking was a big no-no in the current Covid environment, but my employer is 100% adamant they are pushing ahead with this strategy - I think partly because they are closing one of our buildings (apparently this was in the pipeline pre-Covid), so as they’re trying to at least double the amount of people who will potentially have the building where I work as their base, they have to go down the line of not only increased home working, but also hot-desking as there simply isn’t the space for everyone to have their own desk.

I’m not overly happy, as their proposed solution to concerns about shared equipment is for everyone to bring in the own keyboard and mouse every time (assuming of course that everyone drives in, and not thinking that trying to carry a keyboard when you’re walking or cycling is going to be a pain).
Aug 2020
11:14pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,336 posts
  •  
run free
Hi Jenny/JR - I don't know how it will work but here is what I imagine it to be like.

Use buildings that have low utilisation during the week like church building extensions, libraries, community halls etc. that can adapt to create flexible workspaces. You can rent them by the hour, morning, day. In Singapore there are adaptable work hub spaces and are popular with a younger audience. Am sure there are must be some in the UK as well.
Aug 2020
11:23pm, 9 Aug 2020
4,337 posts
  •  
run free
Just did a google and it seems this does exist in the UK: flexibility.co.uk

Jenny - if you have panniers on your bicycle - everything is possible. Also during my 2 month cycle, I carried around a portable keyboard. It folds up. Of course a mouse is easy to carry.
Aug 2020
6:55am, 10 Aug 2020
4,586 posts
  •  
jennyh
It would be good if they could utilise some of those type of buildings Runfree. Probably about 2 months ago I did see a place locally that was advertising that offered an office space that you could rent - I couldn’t find the actual price, as you had to give all your details to get a quote, but it said “starting from £130 a month”, which was a bit much for me, especially as I think there was a sliding scale of how many days you could use it for.

Also, reading reviews on Trustpilot there seemed to be a lot of bad reviews, and lots of folks saying there were hidden charges, which is why I initially said whilst I like the idea, it would have to be priced right, as the people who are likely to need it most (those who don’t have much space at home), are also not likely to be able to afford it if the rates are too high.
Aug 2020
7:00am, 10 Aug 2020
4,587 posts
  •  
jennyh
The panniers thing may be an option for those who do cycle - I don’t cycle to work myself as I’m not a very confident cyclist, usually only cycle in the park. I normally walk to work, so I guess if, as it seems, they’re determined to push ahead with this hot desking I’ll have to het a folding keyboard so I can fit it in my rucksack.

About This Thread

Maintained by run free
What do you predict will be the New Normal?

What are you seeing now as the New Normal?

Govt Guidelines on rebuilding and normalising Covid by restructuring: gov.uk